Chapter fifty five

A.N. I hope you guys are staying safe and healthy! Enjoy!

"Finally. You're back." The auror that let them out looked relieved.

"We need to get through. Immediately!" Harry said quickly.

"Alright, calm down." The wizard sighed, and opened the gate.

"Thanks." They all said hurriedly as they passed by, and rushed into the castle.

"What are you doing out of bed at this hour?" Professor McGonagall was waiting for them around a turned corner.

"Come with us. We need to see Humfrey!" Harry said. She followed behind them with surprising speed as they rushed to the office.

Luna shouted the password at the gargoyle blocking the office as they neared, and it jumped out of the way.

"What in Merlins-" Humfrey trailed off. He appeared to be in a deep conversation with Kingsley, who was sitting across his desk.

"Thank goodness. We needed to speak to both of you." Harry rushed out.

"Calm down. What are you talking about?" Kingsley's brow furrowed.

"The death eaters joined forces with the coven." Ginny explained.

"Impossible. They're all in Azkaban." Humfrey objected.

"Not all of them. I'd guess there to be at least a hundred or more that you haven't caught." Draco responded.

"Well what evidence do you have to show their connection?" Kingsley challenged.

"They were at Theodore's house. And why would death eaters want to capture Hermione as opposed to Harry?" Ginny scowled.

"Nott? What were you doing there? When was this?" asked Humfrey.

"We were looking for Hermione." Luna said helpfully.

"How'd you get past the aurors?" Kingsley questioned.

"That's beside the point." said Harry. "It has to be true and they're probably preparing to break the others out of Azkaban."

"Impossible. Even though we've fired the dementors, there's no way anybody could be broken out. It's still the top security prison in the Wizarding world." said Kingsley.

"Yeah because that worked so well with Theodore Nott." Ginny said sarcastically.

"That was different. The coven was behind that." Kingsley shook his head.

"The coven is going to be behind the attack..." Draco couldn't believe how daft the minister was.

"We will strengthen the numbers, but I assure you there is nothing to worry about." said Kingsley.

"Now that still doesn't explain what you four were doing out of bed." Humfrey frowned.

"I gave them permission." Professor McGonagall stated.

Everyone turned in shock to look at the witch with an impeccable record.

"I want to get Hermione back. At least they were doing something." Her eyes flashed dangerously.

"We all want her back Minerva." Humfrey spun around in his chair, focusing on a toy in his hands.

"Then do something." Professor McGonagall stated.

"There's nothing we can do. We've been searching for the coven for months and nothing has come up. What makes you think something will change?"

Kingsley's words were met with silence.

"We can keep looking, but I don't think anything about their whereabouts will be found until the final battle that was spoken of in the prophecy." Humfrey added gently.

"Wait what did the prophecy say? The last part?" Harry asked.

"And the battle to cleanse our world of that evil will begin on the eve of the final night." Luna recited.

"It must mean the eve of December 31st. The eve of the final night of the year." Harry reasoned.

"So what does that give us? Less that a week?" Ginny scoffed.

"Yes. It appears it does. We must begin preparations I suppose." Kingsley conceded.

"I'm going to help guard Azkaban over the next few days." Harry said, clearly not making it a question.

"You know we can't do that." Kingsley raised an eyebrow.

"Why not? We aren't in school for the break. I won't be missing anything. And I'm also an adult. You can't stop me." Harry said defiantly.

"Me too." Draco volunteered.

The girls also pledged their support.

"I suppose you have a point. It won't be easy. There may not be dementors, but the same feeling of emptiness and cold is still there." Kingsley warned.

"We can handle it." Harry said confidently.

"Show up when you want. I'll tell the security to be expecting you. You can also stay in the security quarters for the duration of your time there so bring extra clothes and whatnot." Kingsley said his farewell, and left.

"What proof do we have that it was them behind Hermione's kidnapping though?" Humfrey rose a very valid point.

"It's not like this case will stand in court. We all know they're behind it." Harry said confidently.

"But what if they're not?" Humfrey stood up from his chair.

"Why else would they have been at Theodore's? They knew exactly what happened, and where we would go." Draco challenged.

"If you're right, this is very serious. I need to discuss the matter with the other heads of schools. What you guys do this break is your own choice. Just stay safe." Humfrey said. "If you're right, we're going to need you on the eve of the battle."

"We won't do anything reckless." Harry promised.

"You mean like forging my signature to get out of the school gates to track down a dangerous group you believe is holding Hermione?" Humfrey held up the piece of paper that Harry had handed the auror at the gate. "I mean really Minerva? Lying to me to save them from punishment?"

"If it means it'll get Hermione back safe and soon, then yes." Professor McGonagall said matter of factly.

"Well...other than that, yes." Harry confirmed.

"You can leave now. Be safe, and come back soon." Humfrey dismissed.

The four walked out of the office and Minerva stayed behind.

"I can't believe she lied for us." Harry seemed dumbfounded.

"I never thought she'd do something like that." Ginny added.

"But she was right." Draco said quietly. "We have no idea what Hermione is going through right now. Is being at Azkaban better than helping track her down? I get that it's one person versus the whole wizarding world. But it's Hermione. We have to do something." He looked torn.

"It's okay Draco. Us three will go to Azkaban to help, and you do whatever you need to track down Hermione. If Azkaban gets attacked, I'll send you a patronus." Harry said comfortingly.

"Thank you." Draco said gratefully. He wasn't sure he could bear the guilt of choosing anyone else over Hermione's immediate safety.

As they walked to their dorms, people were heading to bed from the ball, not knowing of the events that took place that night. Of the danger lurking over Hogwarts. The four solemnly said their goodbyes, and went their separate ways.

Draco entered his empty common room, and all he could see looking around was traces of Hermione. The dresses draped neatly over the couch as she debated whether or not to wear a different dress than the one she originally chose. The blanket on the couch that they shared talking next to the fire with hot chocolate.

It felt empty, so he grabbed the blankets from his room and set them down on the floor of Hermione's for comfort. He closed his eyes, and sunk into an uneasy sleep.