Chapter twenty three*

"Minerva." Madam Pomfrey tapped Professor McGonagall shoulder lightly. The witch had fallen asleep with her head on Hermione's bed.

"Yes?" She sat up in her chair and blinked quickly a few times to adjust to the light.

"Time to wake up. Some people are here to see Hermione."

"Oh yes. Of course give me one moment." Professor McGonagall used a spell to refresh her face and brush her teeth, put her hair back in a bun all within a minute, and stood next to Madam Pomfrey.

"Come in." Madam Pomfrey called.

"Hermione?" The Weasley twins came in. They walked up to the bed and froze in shock.

"What happened to her?" Fred questioned.

"That's what we're all trying to find out" Professor McGonagall said dryly.

"No like. What are all the scars from, and why does she look so pale?" George asked.

"They don't know?" Professor McGonagall asked Madam Pomfrey.

"I suppose not."

"We were just questioned and that Leah woman said to come in here." said George.

"Don't know what?" Fred asked.

"She was sexually abused over the summer, and has been touched by a helare. That basically-"

"We know what it does." George cut off Madam Pomfrey.

"Who's working on the cure?" Fred asked.

"Remus put together a group. They're already working on it." Professor McGonagall said.

"And we weren't invited?" Fred gasped dramatically.

"Let us help." George turned to the two women.

"You help make a cure? Let me remind you that those are the smartest wizards and witches alive working on that. Why do you think you'd be any help?" Madam Pomfrey questioned.

"We've spent our whole lives creating things to use that may have a bad effect, and of course we always have to come up with a remedy for it. There's no people better experienced for this." Fred said confidently.

"It's not us you have to convince. It's Remus." Professor McGonagall said.

"Great! Where is he?" George rubbed his hands together happily.

"I believe he's at the Ministry of Magic." Madam Pomfrey informed.

"Allow us to collect some samples real quick." Fred and George bustled about Hermione and took many notes and a few blood samples.

"Thanks!" Fred waved goodbye and the two sprinted out the door.

"Well that happened." Madam Pomfrey commented.

"I never understood those two." Professor McGonagall couldn't help but reveal a smile at their enthusiasm.

"Well you should go eat some breakfast. I'll take care of her until you come back." Madam Pomfrey shooed her friend away who seemed very reluctant to leave the young girl. 

"Tell Humfrey while you're there that you want to adopt Hermione. That's what you decided right?"

"Yes, it is. But what if it doesn't - work out?"

"Then wait for her to wake up and ask her. Now go!" 

"Alright alright." Professor McGonagall walked out of the hospital wing.

On her way to the Great Hall she was flooded with memories of Hermione. How annoyed she got with Harry and Ron, but cared about them too much to let them do foolish things alone. Even taking the blame for when they were found with the troll in their first year, when the boys faces clearly gave away that she wasn't the one at fault. Professor McGonagall entered the Great Hall and went to temporarily sit in Madam Maxime's seat beside Humfrey.

"How is she?" He whispered.

"The same. But I made up my mind."

"About the adoption?" Humfrey suddenly looked excited.

"Yes. I'm going to go through with it." She allowed herself a small smile.

"I'll let Kingsley know right away. You don't worry about a thing. Have some eggs." He passed her the platter and she took a scoop.

"Thank you." She thanked.

"Of course! I'm glad I can do something to help you." He grinned.

"Professor McGonagall?" Draco came up beside her chair.

"Yes?" She turned to look at him.

"Has she woken up yet?" At his question, a pit began to form as she realized he hadn't heard about the helare yet.

"There's something you need to know, but I can't tell you yet. You'll find out later today I'm sure." Professor McGonagall remembered Leah's order to not tell anybody about Hermione's condition.

"Why can't I know now?" He frowned.

"Mr. Malfoy I'm on strict orders to keep my mouth shut as well is everyone else who knows, so stop pestering me and just wait to find out later." Professor McGonagall snapped.

"Fine." Draco muttered incoherent words under his breath on the way back to his seat.

"Was anyone else brought in for questioning yet?" Humfrey asked quietly.

"The Weasley twins."

"How did they react?"

"They're going to be on the cure team."

"Remus said yes?" Humfrey seemed slightly surprised.

"They were on their way to convince him. And knowing those two, they'll succeed."

"Interesting." Humfrey grinned. The Great Hall doors opened and Leah strode inside to the front table. Murmuring began as she whispered something to Draco, and he got up to follow her out.

"I suppose he is the next one she's questioning. I wish she would've waited until classes began. Now the whole hall will want to know what's going on." Professor McGonagall sighed.

"Should I say something?" Humfrey asked.

"What would you say. We aren't allowed to speak of it, remember?"

"I suppose. At least breakfast is going to end soon." Humfrey noticed there were only about five minutes left.

"I'm going to head back to the hospital wing. If my substitute needs any help just send a quick message." Professor McGonagall said. She was very reluctant to let someone take over her class but determined that Hermione was her top priority at the moment.

"Yup." Humfrey nodded. Professor McGonagall got up out of her seat and left through one of the side doors as to not attract much attention.

"Humfrey?" Chris leaned over.

"Yes?"

"What did that witch come in here for?" Chris asked.

"Sorry. I'm not allowed to say." Humfrey shook his head.

"What are the chances." Chris said, seemingly slightly ticked off.

"Why do you want to know?" Humfrey asked.

"That's my twin sister."