candles

"Happy birthday, dear Y/N!" The team sings, gathered around my desk. "Happy birthday to you!"

My eyes skim over the faces around me. Rossi, Hotch, Emily, Spencer, JJ, Garcia, and Morgan all stand around the table. Spencer is directly in front of me, smiling big as he sings. If there's one thing in the world Spencer Reid can't do, it's carry a tune. It's fun to watch him try, though.

Twenty-seven candles line the square birthday cake. It's got whipped cream frosting, my favorite. Something I'd only told Spencer. I can't believe that he remembered that.

"Our BAU baby is growing up so fast," Penelope gives me a proud smile.

Ah, the Baby of the BAU. I was given the title when I joined over a year ago. My hard work paid off and I was taken straight from the Academy and put onto the BAU at twenty-five. Spencer Reid gladly gave up the title and joked that with me having it, people would take him more seriously.

"Sometimes I think that the team forgets I've been in the Bureau for ten years," He'd told me with a small chuckle.

Spencer and I became friends quickly, hitting it off in the field. One night during a double-up for hotel rooms, we were the last two left when everyone else had picked a partner. The two of us sat up really late going on tangents about Doctor Who. That's how we ended up being friends. The conversation went from Doctor Who to our pasts, to our hobbies...

"Make a wish, kiddo." Morgan claps a hand on my back, making me inch nearer to the cake.

A wish...

I don't know what there is to wish for, really. I'm pretty content with my life right now. I have a job that is tough, but it's something I really enjoy. I have a great group of friends at that job...

"Does it have to be for me?" I ask aloud, not to anyone in particular. My eyes stay fixed on the flickering flames of the candles.

"You want to...wish for something for someone else?" Rossi asks, just as Emily is saying something.

"I don't see why not," The dark-haired woman says with a small smile and a nod.

I nod and my eyes meet Spencer. He's got a puzzled look on his face. "Why would you use it on someone else?"

"Maybe they need it more than I do," I tell him.

I close my eyes to make my wish before opening them and blowing out all of the candles in one breath.

Everyone claps when I do, and soon enough, cake slices are being handed out.

"Hey," I hip bump my best friend, taking a small bite of my cake. "thanks for the icing. I can't believe you remember me telling you about it."

He smiles, letting out a laugh. "Of course I remember,"

"Oh, yeah. Eidetic memory, it's a lottery." I laugh, elbowing him.

He just blows out a laugh, picking at his cake. He speaks up after a few seconds. "You looked at me before making your wish. Did you...wish for something for me?"

"Maybe I did," I shrug, giving him a smile.

The boy raises an eyebrow at me. "What was it for?"

"I can't say or it won't come true," I joke, half-meaning that I didn't really want to say it.

He looks at me expectantly, knowing that I'll spill what it is.

"Alright," I let out a tiny sigh, looking around the room.

Everyone is going on about their conversations and eating cake a good distance away from Spencer and I.

"In lieu of...everything that has happened in my almost two years here, I decided to make a wish for you. For you to be happy,"