the mighty fall

7:39.

I let out a tiny sigh, switching my phone screen off.

Spencer was supposed to be here at seven to pick me up for a date. Maybe he forgot...maybe he's caught up at work? All I know is that he's late and he won't answer my phone calls.

I decide to head back inside. It's getting cold out and the concrete stairs of my apartment complex aren't the most comfortable things to sit on.

I stand up and smooth out my dress. I can't wait to take the stupid thing off, along with the heels.

I feel like an idiot having waited so long.

Just as I turn to head back up the stairs, I hear a car door slam. I ignore it, though. Every car door slam that I've turned my head for didn't turn out to be him. So many people walked past me on the stairs, so many car doors have slammed in the past forty-ish minutes. None of them were him.

"Y/N!" I hear the familiar voice call.

Of course. Of course it would be him!

I don't turn around, just keep heading up the stairs and to my apartment.

I can hear his feet hit the stairs as he follows behind me.

"Y/N! Hey!" Spencer calls after me.

I can't seem to get my key into the lock no matter how hard I try. I fumble it for a few more seconds before I hear his steps stop.

"Baby, hey..." He says from behind me, almost out of breath. "Hey."

I feel his hand on the small of my back and I just give the door a pathetic, lazy kick. Tears build up in my eyes and I stare down at my shoes.

"What, Spencer? What?" I ask quietly, the disappointment and hurt ringing through my tone of voice.

"I'm sorry I'm late-"

"I'm used to it by now, but I put money down for this reservation and you couldn't care enough to be on time. One night, Spencer, all I wanted was one night for you to be on time. One night where..." I sigh, trying to get the key into the lock once more. I succeed this time and unlock the door. "Where I didn't feel like an idiot."

"Y/N, please... it won't happen again. Today has just been busy-"

"Busy!" I scoff, turning to face him. "So busy that you couldn't take two seconds to say to your girlfriend of over a year 'hey, babe, I'm gonna be a little bit late.'? It's common courtesy, Spencer."

He frowns at me, looking guilty. "I know, I know. I should have called. I didn't, and... that was a stupid move. I'm sorry, really, I am. Please let me make it up to you."

How could I say no to him?

My eyes scan his face, seeing sincerity in his brown eyes. The same look I've gotten every other time, but I just can't deny him. I love him so much.

That's when something catches my eye. A small red spot on his cheek. I use my thumb to wipe it away. It's blood.

"I think you cut yourself shaving," I chuckle, but my laughter fades when I realize I'm just smearing it.

"What?" Spencer asks me, his hand moving up to his face.

"You have a spot of blood on your face, come on."

I open up the door and invite him in, pulling him by his hand toward the bathroom. I flick the light on and gesture for him to take a seat on the toilet while I grab a washcloth from the closet.

"Maybe you had a spot or something and while you shaved it just got nipped," I shrug, wetting a corner of the cloth down with warm water. I turn the faucet off and move over toward him, taking his chin in between my fingers and tilting his face upward to look at me. I wipe off the blood smears while he smiles up at me.