coming home

Spencer steps inside and tosses his go-bag on the floor, then throws his messenger bag on top of it.

He takes off his coat and kicks off his shoes before heading to find Y/N.

When he reaches the living room, he can't miss the assortment of chairs, bed sheets, christmas lights, and pillows in the middle of the room. A fort.

He hears giggles coming from under the blankets, followed by a loud 'Shh!'. The light coming from under the sheets turns off.

The boy smiles and pads toward the fort, getting on his hands and knees to crawl in.

"Hey!" A high-pitched voice yells. "You didn't read the sign!" The tiny area floods with light, making Spencer squint for a second before his eyes land on the two loves of his life.

Y/N, and the six year old gremlin who inherited Y/N and Spencer's best features.

"What sign?" Spencer raises an eyebrow at his daughter.

"Outside the door!" She squeaks, smiling big.

Spencer crawls backwards and looks around, finding a white board to his right with 'No Boys Allowed!' written on it in bold letters.

He wipes off the 'No' and brings the sign back in with him. "This one, Ruby?"

Ruby gasps and looks up at Y/N. "Mommy, I told you to write 'NO Boys Allowed'."

Y/N giggles and shoots Spencer a smile before looking down at her daughter. "I did! You know, I think Daddy erased the 'no'."

The little girl gasps again and crosses her arms. "Daddy, that's not nice!"

He just grins, shoving the board aside before making his way further into the fort to sit with his girls.

He presses a kiss to Y/N's lips and then plants a kiss on the top of Ruby's head. "New house rule: no having fun unless Daddy is home, okay?" He jokes.

"But you're always at work," Ruby says simply, grabbing a doll from beside her.

Spencer's heart breaks when he hears her say that.

Y/N is quick to change the subject when she sees the hurt take over Spencer's features.

"Oh, my gosh. Look how late it is! It's bedtime, Miss Ruby."

The little girl frowns at her mother. "But Daddy just got home."

"I know, baby, but you need rest so you can grow up big and strong. Remember how we talked about that?" Y/N puts her arm around the girl. "I bet you Daddy will tell you a story and tuck you in if you ask him," The woman whispers, just loud enough for Spencer to hear.

"Daddy, will you tell me a story?" The six year old asks quietly.

"Of course, I will."

Y/N gives her daughter a hug and a kiss goodnight and tells her that she loves her.

"Why don't you head upstairs and get in your pajamas and brush your teeth, okay? I'll be right up."

Ruby nods and crawls out of the fort. The two adults hear footsteps heading up the stairs and give each other a smile.

Spencer's fades quickly as the remark Ruby made plays through his brain over and over again.

"Spence, don't overthink what she said. She-"

"No, she was right. I'm always at work and... I never get to see you guys. I missed her first word, her first steps..." He shakes his head and sighs. "Now, I'm missing out on her growing up."