undercover lover

"Y/N, we need you and Reid to go undercover on this case. It's a special circumstance," Hotch says, looking down at the case file.

Y/N rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Spencer does the same.

No, they've never been too fond of each other.

For Spencer, well, it was obvious why he didn't like her. She came in to replace JJ. His best friend.

And on Y/N's end... well, Spencer constantly seemed annoyed by her presence and always tried to one up anything that she presented to the team. Sure, maybe she's not as smart as him...but that doesn't mean she isn't good at her job. She's just finishing up her profiler training and was at the top of Rossi's class. Which was why she was first choice when JJ went to work for the Pentagon.

"This unsub prays on young, heterosexual newly-weds. You two fit the image to a T." Hotch continues. "The couples he's killed so far seem to have rushed the wedding. Engagement announcements were made in the paper only one month prior to the wedding."

"That's probably how he's choosing his victims. Announcements in the paper. He probably keeps a close watch on their social media. People our age post everything on social media," Y/N tells her boss, looking up at him expectantly.

"That brings me to my next, even yuckier point..." Garcia frowns, pressing some buttons on her remote to pull up pictures of the three women that were killed. "The M.E. report from all three female victims found hCG, a hormone that-"

"Is only present when a woman is pregnant. These were shotgun weddings. The unsub is targeting couples that had premarital sex." Spencer interjects.

"There's gonna be some...extensive social media hacks happening to make it look like you two have been together for awhile. Cutesy couples photos are gonna have to be taken. Fake posts, fake jobs, fake friends, fake names, and...a fake apartment in the town. Fake pregnancy announcement..." Penelope says, trying to hide her giddiness. Spencer and Y/N both know that she's going to have a ball with this.

People are dying, but Penelope is excited to play 'fake matchmaker'.

"The assignment is about a month long, so... pack your bags. We've got a lot of work to do,"

-

After probably a thousand staged photos, faked happy faces and photos with 'friends', not to mention a fake apartment and a fake engagement ring and announcement... the assignment is a go. Oh, and also a fake pregnancy announcement. Lovely.

Spencer 'Smithe' and Y/N 'Longfellow'... the happy couple.

The two got over the sleeping situation about a week into the assignment, finally stopping their bitching about it and giving in. For the most part, they keep the persona of 'happy couple' on when they're out and about, knowing that the unsub could be watching them.

Y/N boots up a video call with Derek and Penelope, since both her and Spencer had been missing their real friends.

When Derek answers the call, he's got a bandage on his forehead and a busted lip.

"Wow, what happened to you?" Spencer asks, raising an eyebrow at his colleague.

Derek shakes his head. "You should have seen this guy. Dude was huge,"

"Well, maybe you should start working out." Y/N jokes, a small chuckle escaping her lips.

A laugh comes from Spencer, too. Y/N smiles at him, glad to see she could at least make him laugh. Sure, maybe he doesn't like her...but laughing at least means he doesn't hate her. Right?