get your happiness

a/n: this takes place a month after the events of 14x15 'truth or dare'. spoilers are ahead!

Spencer sits at the round table with the rest of his team, trying desperately to focus on what Penelope is saying about the case they've been called on.

His coffee cup sits in front of him, still full from this morning. The coffee had gone cold hours ago, but he still carried it into the round table room with him. He's not even sure why. He doesn't plan on drinking it.

Y/N watches her friend closely. She's noticed that something has been off with him, but she can't get it out of him no matter how hard she tries. She's noticed the cups of coffee that he pours and doesn't drink. She's noticed the looks JJ has given him whenever someone asked if he was okay.

"What, kid? No statistics?" Rossi questions, raising an eyebrow at Spencer.

Spencer snaps out of his daze and looks up at his colleague. "I'm sorry, I..." He starts, swallowing hard. "I'm just... scrambled. I wasn't paying attention, I'm-"

"Spencer, we need your full attention on this case," Emily tells him, a frown sitting on her lips. "If you're not gonna have your head in the game, why bother? Maybe you should take a day or two off."

"No, I..." Spencer struggles to find his words. "I'll be okay. My head is in it." He assures his unit chief.

She doesn't believe him, and the look on her face says it all. "Go home, Reid. Get some rest and come back when you're one hundred percent."

"Emily-" He begins to protest, only to be cut off.

"Reid, she's right. You should go home. You'll only weigh us down if you're-" Luke speaks up, but his words come a halt when Spencer huffs and gets up from his chair, taking his coffee and heading out of the room.

All of the agents exchange looks, wondering what the hell is going on with him. Except JJ, who keeps her head down.

"I'm gonna go check on him," Y/N says, pushing out her chair and standing up.

Emily nods. "Wheels up in thirty."

Y/N follows Spencer to the break area, watching him dump his coffee out.

"Hey," She says softly, boosting herself onto the counter next to the sink. Her eyes land on Spencer's hands as he washes out his coffee cup.

"What?" Spencer's cold tone hits her like a whip. It stings a little bit.

"Oh, I...I just wanted to make sure you were okay," The girl says, seeing JJ walk into the area to 'get more coffee'. Her cup is still half full, though.

"Y/N, I'm fine. Honestly. How many times do I have to say it for you and the team to get it into your heads?" The man says harshly, rinsing out the remaining suds from the cup and putting it in the drying rack.

"I'm sorry," Y/N apologizes, guilt lacing her features.

"Yeah," Spencer sighs and shakes his head, turning and walking away from the girl.

She knows something is going on. Something is really wrong.

Y/N hops off of the counter, a plan brewing in her mind. She makes her way to Emily's office and knocks on the door frame, poking her head in.

Prentiss looks up from the file on her desk, giving Y/N a small smile. "What's up?"

"Em, would you guys be able to handle this case without me?" I ask her, taking the place in front of her desk.

She gestures toward the door, wanting Y/N . close it. She does and looks back up at Emily.

"Is this about Reid?" The agent questions.