the kids aren't alright

"Spencer?" I ask, knocking on his door once again. He still doesn't answer.

Worry is running through my veins. Every possible situation is playing out in my brain.

"Spence!" I call, knocking harder. "It's Y/N! Come on, open up."

I dig out the key he gave me, deciding that him not coming to the door after five minutes when I know he's home, is an emergency.

I unlock both locks before pushing open the door. I look to my left first, seeing him laying on the couch.

"Spencer? Hey, why didn't you-" I'm cut off when I get a closer look at him.

One sleeve is rolled up. He looks pale, his lips have a sort of...blue tint to them.

"Spencer!" I run to his side, finding a needle and a small glass bottle on the floor beside the couch. "What did you do? What the fuck did you do?"

He looks back at me, struggling to keep his eyes open. His pupils are small, like pin points. A lot smaller than they should be.

I pick up the bottle, taking a closer look at it. Dilaudid. He swore that he'd quit. He swore.

I'm mad. Well, I want to be mad, but there's something definitely wrong. He's taken too much...

"Y/N..." He croaks, his voice weak.

"Shh, no. Don't talk, okay? Save your strength. Just... blinking okay?" I tell him. "Two for yes. One for no. Got it?"

He blinks twice. Yes.

"Have you been like this all night?"

One blink. No.

"More than an hour?"

Yes.

"More than two hours?"

No.

"Okay, alright. You can't walk, can you?"

No.

"Okay, it'll probably take forever for paramedics, so I'm gonna lift you and take you to my car, okay?"

Alright. This guy has to weigh at least a hundred fifty pounds. I can lift him. I think.

I muster up all of my strength and with much difficulty, I scoop Spencer up bridal-style and make my way out of his apartment and down the stairs, rushing to my car. I set him in the passenger's seat and buckle his seat belt before rushing around to my side, getting in and heading out of the lot quicker than I'd ever thought possible.

I rush to the nearest hospital and carry Spencer inside.

"Help, please!" I try to contain my tears, adjusting my grip on the boy. "He...he took too much dilaudid and I-"

Someone yells something and within a minute, a bed is brought out. I set him down with help from the nurses and they ask how much he had.

"I don't know, I just know he's been like this for around an hour-" I start to follow them as they take him further into the emergency room.

"Ma'am! You can't go in!" The clerk calls after me.

"What?" I look around at her, stopping in my tracks. I look back to Spencer, watching him as they wheel him off through a set of doors that close behind them. "Why can't I go? Why-"

"Ma'am, just please have a seat. Once he's in stable condition, you'll be able to see him. If you're able, I have some paperwork that needs to be filled out."

I nod, trying to get ahold of myself. I head back to the desk where I'm met with a clip board with about a dozen pieces of paper on it. I grab a pen from the holder and take another look at the doors before going to sit down.