birds and bees (matched)

"What?" I raise an eyebrow at Spencer. "I don't think we should...not yet."

"Not yet? Luna, she's sixteen..." My husband tells me. "We have to have the talk with her. There's things that they don't teach you in school-"

"Alright, alright. It's just...that's our baby, Spence. I don't wanna think about that because pretty soon she'll be moving out and she could get married and have kids of her own. Then, she'll never visit and we'll be all alone-"

"Lu," Spencer tries to cut me off.

"-and the most we'll get to see her is on special occasions like holidays and-"

"Luna," He raises his voice a tiny bit, putting his hands on my arms. "Hey. You're right, that's possible-"

"Sugar coat it next time, babe." I cut him off, letting out a sigh.

"But that's just what parents go through. We grew up, we left home... she'll do the same thing, so will Sam and Ronnie. That's how it goes."

"I know, I know..." I frown at him. "It doesn't make it hurt any less."

He gives me a sad smile. "I know."

"Okay. Let's get it over with,"

Spencer and I head upstairs, knocking on Eleanor's door and entering when she says 'come in!'.

"Hey, kiddo," I give her a small smile.

The sixteen-year-old is sat cross-legged on her bed, books and papers spread out in front of her. Her long, dark hair is tossed into a ponytail and she's already in her comfy clothes.

"Hey, what's up?" She asks, looking up at the both of us. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah!" Spencer squeaks. "Everything is...cool."

"Except that," I sigh and shake my head.

"What's going on?" El asks, marking the spot in her text book with a sticky note before closing it up. "Is it Grandad? Krystall?" She stands up. "Are they okay?"

"Oh! Oh, my god. They're fine! They're okay, I promise," I tell her. "Perfectly healthy and enjoying retirement, just like usual."

"Thank god. You scared me," She sighs, putting a hand over her heart. "So, what's going on?"

"We just... wanted to have a talk with you." Spencer says awkwardly, practically giving away just what we wanna talk about.

Our daughter furrows her brow at us. "What? Oh, oh!" Her eyes widen and realization takes over her features. "No, nope! That's okay, that's why we had sex ed in school. I'm fine!"

"There's some things that they don't teach you-" Spencer starts, only to be cut off by El.

"I'll figure it out," She shrugs, looking down at her feet.

"El," I start. "Please just hear us out."

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "Alright, but...sort of make it a crash course. I have a lot of work to get done."

I watch as she crawls back into her spot on her bed. Spencer starts his first lecture.

"So, first of all, I want you to know that even though people might think you're uncool for not having had sex, it doesn't matter. It's okay to wait for the right person or until you're in love with someone," He explains.

"And don't ever let someone pressure you into doing it. Always stand your ground. If someone is guilt-tripping you for your decision, they're a total asshole," I pitch in.