car crash hearts

Spencer's phone rang on his desk and he took a look at the number, not recognizing it. He answers anyway.

"This is Dr. Spencer Reid," He greets.

"Hi, Dr. Reid. I'm calling from George Washington Hospital. We have you listed as an emergency contact for Y/N Y/L/N."

The boy's heart drops in his chest. "Is she okay? What happened?"

"She was in a car accident. She didn't lose consciousness, she doesn't appear to have any major injuries, but we're still waiting on her CT results."

He takes a look at his watch and stands up. He'll have to take the rest of the day off, maybe even the rest of the week.

"Okay, I'll be there in thirty minutes."

Spencer gathers up his things before he's even off of the phone, shoving the remaining paperwork he had to finish into his bag.

He runs by Emily's office to tell her that there was an emergency and he needs to go. She wishes him luck and he heads on his way to the hospital.

The entire thirty minute drive, he's stuck with his thoughts. How did she get into an accident? Is she alright? Does she have a concussion?

When he heads into the hospital and finds her room, he breathes out a sigh.

Y/N sits in the bed, fumbling with the remote for the tiny TV in the corner. She's awake and she looks okay, besides her hair which is a tangled mess. Her eye makeup streaks down her cheeks and under her eyes.

"Y/N," Spencer rushes to her side. He wants to wrap her in a hug, but she holds a hand out, letting it stop him as he goes in for one.

"You know I love your hugs, but...I'm in a whole shit ton of pain right now."

Even just moving slightly causes her to wince. Though, she desperately needs a signature Spencer Reid bone-crushing hug... her body can't take it right now.

Spencer settles on a forehead kiss. It makes her heart flutter a little bit. Her heartbeat quickens for a few seconds when she feels his lips on her forehead.

"Were you driving? What happened?" He asks her, pulling a chair up next to her bed.

"I wasn't..." Y/N shakes her head. "Avery was and...we were going fifty-five and someone dickwad decided to try to turn and we swerved or something or hit him and then hit a guard rail..."

Spencer frowns at her and only cracks a small smile at her use of the word 'dickwad'. He wonders if Avery is alright, but doesn't ask. If Y/N came out alright, he's sure her best friend did as well.

"I don't...I don't really remember. I just remember the airbags going off and having to kick my door open to get out." She sighs. "There was a lot of smoke, that I remember. I couldn't breathe and I needed to get the door open."

"I'm so glad that you're okay..." Spencer reaches for her hand.

"I got out of the car and my legs felt like jello, so I just copped a squat on the pavement and asked someone to call for help. I was...I was trying to make sure everyone else was okay. And...Avery-" She starts to laugh a little bit. "The paramedic was asking for my information and I kept trying to tell them every medication she's allergic to and asking if everyone was okay."

That's one of the qualities about Y/N that Spencer loves. Well, he loves everything about her, but he especially loves that she's selfless. She never made things about herself and like today, she put the well being of others above her own. Sometimes, that quality could get her into trouble. Sometimes it can be a bad thing to put other people above yourself.