Part 17

Tejaswini announces that the happy couple will marry next week, causing double-takes all around. Suraj had meant to marry after graduation, but she points out that there'll always be something to wait for - internship, residency, his army obligation - so they may as well do it now.

Chakor shares the news with her friends at the noodle shop, which seems like a pretty insensitive place to do it, considering that Vivaan is nursing his broken heart by throwing himself into working there.

Chakor and Suraj go ring and dress/tux shopping - or at least attempt to. Chakor is excited about all these plans, and tries to convince Suraj to participate, but he grumbles at each step of the way.

Chakor urges him to get a ring as proof of their love, adding that he has to let people know that he's taken. Suraj notes that she really means for the ring to act as shackles, and leaves the store. Suraj balks at a photo shoot and buying a tux, because in his uber-logical robot brain, the ceremony is a waste of time and money. He tells Chakor that even when they're married, he won't just bend over backwards to suit her preferences. She points out that he's never done that.

Suraj starts to blame his mother for pushing, but Chakor wisely sees that Mom's not the problem. Why did he announce that he'd marry her if he was going to be like this? Suraj doesn't know and sighs that he regrets it, then adds that they ought to reconsider.

With only a few days remaining until the wedding, Chakor is dejected and confused. Her friends assure her that Suraj's just being his usual difficult self, but he doesn't mean to really call it off.

Sure enough, Suraj comes back to his senses (seriously, boy? It's that hard for you to understand that a wedding is important to women?) and visits Chakor's father. To Chakor's surprise, Suraj takes the two of them on a road trip to visit the graves of her mother and grandmother.

Suraj has come to pay his respects to them, and introduces himself as "son-in-law." He says, " I've already gotten in trouble for not listening to Chakor. But don't worry, I'll take good care of her."

Chakor's still feeling stung and mutters that she hates him, but then shakes her head and amends, "No, I like you. Thank you."

Now Suraj's more willing to discuss wedding plans, and although he initially scoffs at the idea of a honeymoon, he relents and tells her to pick the place. Chakor decides an island vacation would be nice (thinking of a beach resort), and Suraj makes her happy by readily agreeing.

On the eve of the wedding, Imli and Tina come over for a sleepover and present Chakor with pink lingerie for her honeymoon.

Next door, the brothers share a moment as Raj comments on all of Chakor's flaws, though without his usual scorn. He declares that while he's going to marry a much prettier, smarter girl, he approves of his bro's choice: "I really like you, bro, but it's true that there are problems with your personality. So I think you have to marry a girl like Chakor. You're doing the right thing. Congratulations!"

Two other men, however, are having a tougher time of it. First is Vivaan, who looks up at Chakor's window from outside. His mood is bittersweet, but he focuses on the positive, saying that he's happy, "Because you're really happy right now. If you're happy... I'm happy too."

Chakor's father, meanwhile, has a lonely drink that night. Chakor joins him, and finds herself fighting back tears as she thanks him for raising her. Bhuvan blinks back his own as he urges her to smile rather than cry.

They practice matching their steps down the imaginary aisle for the ceremony, which is one of the sweeter moments. This relationship has always been among the more genuine ones, so it's particularly poignant.