Chapter 2

Fern's POV

"She's waking up." The nurse alerted me and I ran to the room. Amber lay there groggily. "Amber! Are you okay?!" I asked. Amber shook her head. "Not meant to talk much." She commented with a husky voice. "Her throat is under recovery. We advise that she attempts to avoid talking if she can. I'm amazed she can still talk. There were deep nail marks. I wonder how she got those..." The nurse told me. Amber nodded along, still tired. "Tell her how I got my injury."

Shadow's POV

Jerome had snapped out of his shock and instead sat there blaming himself. "I should have been able to save him. I should have realised something was wrong." He muttered. "Jerome, you couldn't have changed anything. Now you have to look for him." I encouraged. "I don't even know where to start." He muttered sullenly, on the verge of tears. Frustrated, I pulled him into the garden to show me where he saw Alison and Mitch. "There." He pointed to an area and I ran over to it. A piece of paper. I picked it up and took a look at it. It was a map, folded. And... the route was to... Stokes State Forest.

Mitch's POV

"Eat." One slice of bread. One. Meagre. Slice. Of. Bread.

The "hideout" wasn't impossible to find, but it was almost like a cave, just no roof. The walls were smooth stone and it curved inward, so they were impossible to climb up and the entrance was guarded by Alison. I had been here only one day and I already knew that she was prepared. The car filled with sedatives. Food. All I had was nothing. No. You have Jerome. Jerome was looking. He must have been.

Shadow's POV

I chose not to show the paper yet but I knew we may need it.

Walking into the hospital room, I saw Amber a sleep while Fern sat there, playing on her phone. "Hey." I said. "Hey." Fern greeted in reply. "You knew this would happen?"

"Not entirely."

"But some of it?"

"A little."

"Like?"

"Just that Alison was coming and one of us was gonna be taken."

"And you didn't think to mention it?"

"I had to let fate play out."

________________________

Hello!!!

Are you enjoying the story so far?! Leave a comment if you wanna, suggestions and such will be welcome :)

-Amber