40~ The War Begins

40~ The War Begins

Nylein

"Mom, dad, Elder Arden is here." Nathan looked up from his stacks of paper and looked towards the door. I watched through his eyes as Jasper stepped out of the way, Arden stepping into view.

Nathan stood. "I thought you wouldn't be here for a few more days,"

"I just had to check on you guys," He walked into the room, gave Jasper's head a tender pat, then sent him off. The door closed. "I know the Rogue attacks will hit you guys first. I know you guys are fully capable of fending them off, but I get worried. My god children will be caught up in this."

"We're well aware." Nathan looked over to see me laying on the couch. "Nylein just came out of a Vision and is recovering."

"What did she see?" Arden asked.

I sighed. "Basically, it was about me watching my Sorcerers I trained. They were able to help their packs stop sneak attacks and turn the tables in our favor. I contacted every single one and let them know to be extra cautious. The world is a dangerous place." I sat up and wiped my nose, feeling the dried blood smears still in place.

"Sounds tedious," Arden said as he took a seat in front of Nathan's desk to watch me.

I nodded. "It was. I just hope I got to them in time. Even though the huge attacks for them won't happen for another month or so, I had to make sure they knew what to look for. By the way, how are Allie and Gage doing?"

Arden grinned to himself and scratched at his chin. "Both are doing amazing. They've taken in a few apprentices within the past year or so. We'll be keeping about half of them at the Capitol while the others spread out to cover more of Europe."

"That's good." I leaned into the couch. "I'm glad to hear that they're doing okay. The Capitol was the very first place to get two Sorcerers."

"For that, I am grateful." Arden leaned back. "We've had a few close calls and unforeseen instances brought to light so they could be dealt with. We are very much thankful for you."

"You're welcome," I watched myself focus on Nathan. "How are our defenses coming along?"

He nodded and turned back to the papers. "We're pretty much set. We know who is going to be present during the attack and who is to stay out of the way. Everyone knows their part. We're all set and ready for the attack."

"That's always good to hear," Arden held out his hand for the report. "Hm... You're keeping her familiar out of the equation?"

I nodded. "Yes. Wynda would be a great asset for the fight, but she would get in the way to keep our children safe."

"Why not keep them inside?" Arden asked.

"It won't work." I shook my head. "I Scryed that outcome a few years back when Nathan and I talked about it. Turns out, if we did that and kept them in the house the entire month the attack was expected to happen, the Rogues would somehow find a way in and kill them, and any Sorcerer they could get their claws on. The outcome is the same no matter how many Warriors we station within and around the pack house."

Arden grimaced. "I see your point."

"So they will have free reign," Nathan stated as he took the paper back to sign. "Things will go exactly as planned. When the day comes, things will fall exactly into place as they should."

"I look forward to hearing about your victory," Arden stood. "I'll be staying here a couple days. I'll be here to observe the apprentices and overlook the training for Warriors and the apprentices."