10~ Rogues

10~ Rogues

Nylein

A sharp shiver suddenly ran up my spine, and I gasped as I snuggled closer under my master's cloak. It's getting close to the winter season, and my master had informed me that it snows in this part of the country. Won't this be fun?

"Good, you're awake." I rolled over to the sound of my master's voice. "We gotta get moving soon. I don't want to stay in one spot for too long."

I sat up and pulled my cloak from its spot as my pillow and wrapped it tightly around me. "Master, I'm tired of running... We just settled down here last night. Please, I want to rest my feet... Besides, Leon still hasn't woken up. He won't for another three days. When he does, he'll demand blood. What blood will be able to give him if we keep moving?"

He sighed heavily before I heard him shift. "Fine. We'll stay here until he wakes up. I'm fairly certain we're on neutral ground at the moment, and hardly any pack comes on to the neutral land. We should be safe here."

"Thank you..." I cuddled deeper in to the cloaks. Goodness, it's cold... "What month is it?" I asked.

"About the end of November." My master replied. "We should start seeing the first snowfall within a day or so."

I shivered. "It's gonna be so cold... And we'll have no where to go to escape the cold. Why can't we just go back to Nathan's place? I'm sure he'd be happy to take us in."

"No!" I flinched back. "We are not going back there! I'll find us a place. I'm certain there's a hut or something around here... Wait here and watch over Leon. I've called over a fox to be your eyes." I heard him get up and walk over the leaf covered ground.

A few minutes later, I extended my sight and hearing to the fox to see it sit right at the edge of the small area we claimed. It stared intently at us, its eyes not once leaving us.

"Go scout around," I told the fox. It nodded and began its perimeter search. I watched and listened through its eyes and ears as it did a wide sweep around our area. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

After an hour of searching, the fox paused and swiveled its head to the right, staring hard into the bushes. It lowered itself a bit and growled. I knew that it couldn't be good.

"Go get Frolyn." I said loud enough for the fox to hear. I watched as he wheeled around to find him, then closed the connection. I took a deep breath and crawled over to where I hope Leon was. My hands touched his leg, and I quickly went up to his head and pulled him into my lap, leaning us up against a small boulder.

I held him close and concentrated on putting a mist around us. Please work... Please work! Soon, I heard three angered growls and snarls filling the air. These aren't Wolves from a pack... No, they sound much too different.

These are Rogues.

I bit my lip hard and scrunched my eyes shut tight. What a great time for Rogues to suddenly pick up on our scents!

Wait, Mist only masks our scents. We're still visible. We'll be killed for sure!

They were advancing quickly. They were so close.

"Please don't let us be seen..." I begged to whoever might be listening. "I have so much to live for... I don't want to die... I have so much to live for... Please don't let them see us..."

Three large bodies broke through the thick brush, snarling and growling up a storm. It suddenly stopped and I had to force my sobs back. They've found us... We're gonna die...

"Where the fuck are they?" A male asked with a hint of a growl in his voice. "I smelled them! They're supposed to be here!"

"Search the area." Another said. "The fire is starting to die out on its own. They heard us coming and left. They couldn't have gotten far."