Chapter Six - Drew

Drew sat in her kitchen, watching her little boy feed himself while she put the leftovers in the fridge. Hudson had gotten food all over. It was about noon when a crying, hungover person ran through their kitchen.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. I'm late. I'm so late." Scarlett ran through the room with her backpack half open. Drew quickly poured coffee into a travel mug and handed it off to her. "Thank you, you're the best."

Whether it was Scarlett or Robert, the Bennett household always had a houseguest. They cried more than the two year old.

Hudson was confused when he realized that his "aunt" and "uncle" were over more than usual, but never together. Drew didn't know how to tell him, so she just said they were busy at different times. Her son just brushed it off and went back to playing with his toys.

"Hey babe," Beau kissed his fiancée's forehead as his best friend sulked behind him.

"How's he doing?" She looked behind him to see Robert staring at his phone, hoping it would ring or light up or something.

"He called her twice, still didn't answer. Scarlett turned off her read receipts so he can't tell if she reads his texts." He pulled out a chair and sat at the dining room table as the other hockey player laid down on the couch. "How's she doing?"

"Ran out crying, late for class. She has been reading her texts. She just doesn't know what to say. She's hurt, really hurt."

"I think he understands that, but he misses her." Beau scrolled through his emails before going shoving his phone back in his pocket. "And it's kind of frustrating always having a house guest."

Drew rolled her eyes, "Them being alright is more important than sex, Beau."

"Sure it is." He joked as his son climbed on his lap.

"Uncle Bort come play with me." The little boy called from his father's lap. Robert just stared forward, not answering.

"He had a long practice, Huds. He just wants to sleep."

Drew got a message from Patrick, saying he needed to talk to her sometime soon. He mentioned that he would make a day trip up there. He wanted Scarlett and Robert to be there, even though that wouldn't happen. She was confused, but went along with it.

The three of them left Robert alone in the front room as they went to the den so that they could watch a movie without bothering the mess of a man laying on the loveseat in the front of the house.

"How was your day?" Beau asked as Drew cuddled into his side.

"Not horrible. Not great. How was practice?"

"It wasn't bad. Lunch was good. Do you think Scarlett's going to take Rob back?"

Drew sighed, she didn't quite know the answer and was worried to say anything besides yes, even if them splitting up is a very real possibility. She knew that Robert really wanted children. He was 25 and ready to start a family, but Scarlett was almost 24 and ready to take on the world.

"They love each other, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did get a divorce. They tried compromising, but it's really hard to tell right now." Thinking about her really good friends ending their marriage hurt. Things couldn't be better between her and Beau when it's usually the other way around.

"He calls her at least once a day. Texts constantly. He's lost."

"Yeah. I know. But on another note, Hudson and I were gonna go to the aquarium tomorrow if you would like to join."

"I'd love to."

"Can someone bring me home, Scarlett should be in class." Robert quietly asked as the movie started.

"Yeah, of course. I'll take you." Beau offered as he got off the couch. He stretched and his shirt lifted to show a little stomach, leaving Drew distracted. "Drew. Drew."

"Sorry, what?" Beau smirked, knowing what had just happened.

"Do you want to come with us and we could go out to eat together?"

"I just want to go home." Robert mumbled.

"We'll bring you home first, Borts."

Robert started muttering something about missing his wife and their dog, but Beau and Drew were stuck in their own world. Hudson wasn't happy with anything going on. He yelled some barely unstandable words at the three adults in the room with him.

"Okay, Huds. We'll watch the movie when we get home."

After dropping off Robert, there was an awkward silence in the car. Neither of them knew what to say. Both of the Bortuzzo's were lost. Scarlett was drinking constantly, only taking breaks to go to class, and Robert was just numb. Neither Drew nor Beau knew what to do to help them. They tried getting Scarlett to talk to her husband but she was too damn stubborn.

"They're going to get back together. They have to." Drew said, worried that two of her best friends would be torn apart by a stupid argument.

"It's all up to Scarlett, babe. She's the one that doesn't want to see Robert and won't answer his calls."

"So you're saying this is all her fault?" Drew challenged.

"No, that's not what I meant."

"That's what you made it seem like." She defended the hockey girlfriend she had learned to love, even if their personalities were complete opposite.

"We are not fighting about this and we will not fight in front of Hudson. I'm sorry I made it seem that way, but Robert would take her back in a heartbeat." Beau whispered.

"Okay. I'll drop it." She sighed, at least he apologized this time.

The next day they spent at the aquarium. It was Hudson's favorite place, Drew's too. Beau just liked going along to see his fiancée and son marvel at all the sea creatures in the tanks. He held up Hudson to touch some of the urchins and different things in the 'petting zoo' that they had set up for the kids. Adults too.

Drew loved that Beau was acting like they were together, like he loved her and wasn't taking her for granted. But in the back of her mind, she knew it might not last long so she was taking in every minute of it.

Hudson loved the jellyfish that were different colors as they swam past the different colored lights. This probably meant that they would be getting some stuffed animals at the gift shop.

It was a great day in Drew's mind. When they got home, Beau couldn't keep his hands off her. She knew that this was how it was supposed to be. She knew that her relationship should be like Robert and Scarlett's because that's how Beau was at the beginning. Things were good even after she came back from California, but she felt like she was losing him again.