Chapter Fourteen - Robert

Robert sat in his best friend's house after practice. He wanted to go home and nap in his own bed with his dog, but Beau convinced him to go back with him. It was exactly like when she left for California. He was whiny and cried about being alone. Robert knew he didn't have much room to talk, but at least he did most of his sulking in private.

"Are you going to do anything about it? Are you going to keep calling her?" He snapped.

"I have been, but she won't answer."

"Then leave messages. Send her texts. Be clingy and tell her how much you love her." Robert suggested. That's what he's been doing for the past however many days. "She's going to have to answer eventually. Or you could fly your ass down there and talk to her face to face."

"But she's with Kane. I know she is. Her brother posted a picture with him and Hudson last night." Beau paced around his living room. He hadn't seen his fiancée or his son in over a week, since Drew found out about what he does on road trips. "He drives there almost everyday to see her. He probably tells her how much he loves her."

"So do you think Hudson is going to be a hockey player or a wrestler? Cause he can play soccer and do a winter sport. But you can't have two winter sports. That's just too much. And it looks like Hudson's a big fan of wrestling." Robert said to himself. It was mainly a way to distract Beau from whatever was going through his brain at the moment.

"I don't care because I might not be able to get to watch him play if Drew moves to Chicago or Iowa."

"What if she stays here?" He asked.

"Then I'll be able to see him, but I don't think that's going to happen."

"Well you brought this on yourself, Beau." Robert was tired of hearing about this. His best friend cheated and needed to face the consequences.

"You're just pissed that you haven't talked to your wife in a few days."

"A few days? More like a month. Yeah, I am pissed. I hate you for what you did to Drew. She thought you loved her. She thought you could be faithful, especially if you had a child. The sad thing is, I hate myself more for hurting Scar."

Robert got up to grab his keys and leave Beau alone. He was going to his house. Stanley probably missed him and would want to go play in the snow. Or at least that's what Robert was going to tell people. He really was hoping to catch Scarlett on her way to class.

He drove across town, stopping to grab coffee on the way home. He thought about ordering one for Scarlett, but wasn't sure he would actually see her. When he got to the drive thru window, he decided to take the chance and ordered her favorite - a white chocolate mocha.

Robert got home to see Scarlett running all over the house, trying to get everything she needed to get be prepared for class. He stood by the door until she noticed him. Stanley was following her, with a toy, wanting to play.

"I'll be back later, okay Stan? Then we'll play in the back yard. I just have to get to class." She talked to her dog like he was her child as she zipped up her backpack and threw it over her shoulder. She grabbed her keys from the water bottle pocket and looked up to see Robert. "Hi."

He stood there for a minute, surprised she talked to him. "Hi." He held out the cup of coffee for her and said, "Your favorite. I thought you might need it before class."

"Uh thanks." She grabbed the drink from his hand and took a sip. "I'm going to be late to class." She brushed past him and grabbed her jacket from the back of the couch and started out the door. "I love you." She called over her shoulder without thinking. She stopped for a minute thinking about what she had just said. She smiled to herself and shut the door behind her.

"I love you too, Scar." Robert stared out the window as she drove away. Stanley was trying to get his attention, but it took a few barks for him to come back to reality.

"Let's go play." He set his cup of coffee down and walked outside with his dog.

Stanley was pretty much their child. He kept the two of them occupied pretty much all the time. Robert realized they didn't really have time for a child, especially while she was still in school. He was usually busy with hockey and working out and he wasn't really sure what his wife was doing these days besides school and drinking.

Robert always made time for Scarlett when they were able to occupy the same roof. Now that he barely saw her and rarely talked to her, he wished he spent more time with her. He always liked to think he didn't take her for granted, but now he was feeling that way.

He wanted her back. He wanted his personal space heater back. Stanley wasn't cutting it anymore.

>> Come back and play xbox with me. I'm lonely.

<< You have Hubert dumbass. Maybe I want to be alone.

>> But Drew won't talk to me

<< Good. You're an idiot. I'm taking a nap.

Robert crawled into bed before dozing off. He didn't have a dream about Scarlett in a while and today wasn't anything different. When he woke up, he got ready to go to team dinner before the game. A lot was going through his mind, but he pushed everything out that didn't have to do with hockey.

He played, not knowing that his wife was sitting in the arena, watching. He got in a fight, not realizing that Scarlett was smiling to herself, silently cheering him on. He scored, not knowing that she almost spilled her beer on the frat boys in front of her because she started jumping. He didn't realize that when his teammates asked him to go to a party and he turned it down, his wife would be there, wondering where he was.