Prologue

The story of how Declan Harp and I, Anna Emberly, got here can be a long or short story. But, I won't waste your time with the long one.

I met Declan Harp at the Ale House, a bar my half-sister, Grace Emberly, owned. Like my sister, I was very fearless, able to hold my own. But, unlike my sister, I always had a flavor for the darker side.

When Declan Harp walked in that day, he was no stranger to the crowd that gathered there.

Every time he came in, he'd glace over at me, buy a drink, then sit and watch the bar. His eyes always seemed to find their way to me.

I was, of course, starting up a small bar fight since the guy I had called here decided to lack the information he so promised he had.

Let's just say, he brought a few more men than I expected. But, after all those weeks of watching from afar, Declan Harp finally swooped in, saving the day. I assured him I could handle myself, smirking slightly, and he wasted no time agreeing with me. Stating, that he just needed a reason to talk to me.

The flirts grew more and more every time I saw him, eventually leading to something much bigger.

My sister, Grace, wasn't fond that I was getting in bed with someone like Declan Harp. She knew the things he'd done, the places he'd been, and the enemies he was slowly collecting.

I didn't care, I craved the adventure. And him.

Before I knew it, Declan Harp and I got married, putting a strain on my sister and I's relationship. We both found ourselves away from Hudson Bay, finding a new life out in the world.

That's where we met the Black Wolf Company, joining them in their trade. Who knew I'd be so good at it.

We became leaders, family. And the Harp family grew by one, a boy. His name was Moon, a simple name when born at night around Indians. But, he didn't live long. No more than three years later, he was taken from us, killed by the Red Coats. Specifically by, one man, Lord Benton, a dark ghost that haunted Declan's past.

After that, we only seeked revenge, killing every Red Coat we could find. Along the way, we continued to grow our fur trade, creeping closer and closer to where Benton staid.

Fort James, where the England Hudson's Bay Company lived. Where Harp and I met. Where my sister stayed.

As if possible, Declan Harp's name was made even more popular, those who saw him usually ran or grew with fear. But, even in the stories that were told, there staid one thing throughout them.

Me.

Some would say that Declan and I were connected, that if you shot one, the other would feel it. Others said that our hearts were split into two at birth and were reconnected at marriage.

The stories go on and on, some enlightening me.

At the end of every day that passed, I found myself laying or sitting next to Declan Harp. The realization that our revenge seeking hearts wouldn't be able to carry everyone with us.

It looks like it'll just be Him and I.