Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Anna

My mind has been racing ever since the attack. One guard, I can handle. Two, maybe. But any more without a weapon? I'd lose in a heartbeat. And I refuse to put my son in danger.

Unlike most, Benton's threats are serious and unexpected. Even when you think you're ahead of him, he always pulls something to bring you back.

When the door opened again, my feet brought me up and I stepped next to the chair. One hand gripped it tightly, prepared to use it as a weapon. Three guards stepped in, standing straight and tall before Benton walked in.

His hands were folded in front of him as he looked at me with a small smirk. "I assume you've had some time to think things through?"

There was a pause, my next words determining my and my son's life.

"If I marry you, you have to promise me that you won't hurt my child. That you won't claim it as your own or take it from me."

Benton's head tilted slightly, his voice sounding surprised but even I could hear the fakeness of it. "What kind of person do you make me out to be, Anna?"

"Don't push it!" I yelled at him.

His fake voice dropped with a sigh as he rolled his eyes, "I swear it."

If I was going to marry this man then other things were sure to be added to the list. "And you don't touch Declan. This hatred that you have for him ends. You don't kill him, you don't even have a soldier raise a gun at him. He becomes nothing to you."

Benton rose an eyebrow at me, "Getting a little carries away aren't we?"

"Give me your word or no deal!" I yelled again. This was my life I was giving up and there was no way in hell I was just going to give it up free willingly.

Another sigh left Benton's lips, "Very well." He rose his right hand, "I give you my word that I will not lay a hand on Declan Harp."

Although there was a great chance he wouldn't follow those rules, he had have to at least follow my child's. Otherwise, I'd kill him before another guard or soldier touched me.

"Fine. Then I'll marry you," I said, my eyes looking at the ground.

I have time to figure something out, to escape.

Benton's loud voice seemed to boom with excitement, "Splendid! I will send ladies to help you get dressed."

Wait, what?

My head quickly looked at Benton, my eyes scrunching together in confusion. "What?" I asked, beyond confused.

Benton smiled, stretching his arms out to his side. "Well, why else would we come here? Lord Fisher is coming as my guest, he will be hosting the wedding." My mouth parts in shock as his words slap me across the face.

"Now, you best get ready," Benton points his finger at me before turning and walking out the door.

This was it, this was his sneaky attack. We weren't waiting, we weren't moving somewhere else. It was all being done here and now.

So much for figuring out a way to escape.

With every passing moment, I became more and more afraid that Declan wouldn't get here in time. If I just had a knife or something, anything to use as a good weapon, I'd bust my way out of here.

But there was nothing here for me. Even the guards seemed to be empty handed, so sneaking one from them was out of the question.

The door opened a few minutes later and a few ladies walked in with different dresses and fabrics. Already, I was getting a headache from all of this, feeling myself ready to just collapse and sink away from all of this.