Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Montreal, the place where trade happens. At least, that's what we hoped for.

Malcolm Brown was standing at one of the stands, buying some outrages prices fur. McTaggart, Charlie, and I stood around, doing our best to blend in with the crowd. Declan made his way up to Malcolm as he turned, making him jump slightly.

"There he is."

"Harp? What brings you here?" Malcom asked, his eyes looking around a little.

Declan smiles slightly, "I've been scouring Montreal for you."

Malcolm looks uneasy and confused, "What for?"

"I need a quick buyer for a large number of beaver pelts," I heard Declan say to Malcom, both of them moving away from the stand and closer to us. By the looks of it, he still hadn't noticed us yet.

Malcolm raised an eye at my husband, "And you want to do a deal with the Low River Company?"

"I did. Until I heard you pissed it all away, Malcolm."

That was information that surprised us, but what surprised us more was what we heard about his brother.

"I also heard your brother married the widow Carruthers. Can you get me a meeting with her?" Declan asked, continuing his request as Malcolm seemed slightly shocked by our knowledge.

"Do you know this woman, Harp?"

Declan shook his head, "Only by reputation," which was true.

Malcolm spoke low, my ears only able to pick it up because I was so close. "I have to warn you that words with her is like puttin' your face against a rolling grindstone."

"It's her business, not her conversation, I'm interested in," Declan said, making me slightly grateful. What I heard about this lady was that she was one to marry and flirt with men who had a greater chance of winning. Declan was one who would win, meaning that there was no way I wasn't going to keep an eye on this women.

Malcolm sighed, pausing for a moment before saying, "A finder's fee for setting it up, and I'll see what I can do."

"Agrees," Declan nodded, following Malcolm as he nodded for him too. I watched Declan make his way through the crowd, my eyes never leaving the back of his head.

"He'll be fine," Charlie said next to me, but my eyes didn't move.

"It's not him I'm worry about," I said, more worried about Elizabeth Carruthers. Letting my husband go alone for a meeting wasn't something I ever did, but he promised me they wouldn't talk about trade yet.

In hopes he was right, I stayed behind, worried that my presence right now could interfere with the meet up.

McTaggart, Charlie, and I stayed close together, only moving to follow Declan when he walked out.

"I need a tailor," Declan says as I move to follow next to him. He looked over at me as we walked, "And you need a dress."

My face scrunched up at the thought of me having to wear a dress. I haven't warn an actually dress since my wedding day, and even that wasn't much.

Charlie quickly asked, "What's all this about?"

"We're going to dinner," Declan said as we turned a corner, keeping out pace normal.

"I hate-" I started, ready to speak my mind on this whole dress subject. My husband, knowing me so well, finished for me. "I know. I know... you hate dresses." He looked over at me with a smirk, "But you look hot in them."