Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Declan

I stood at the head of the ship, land peeking far ahead. Fortunato popped up next to me, eyeing me suspiciously. A grunt left my lips, "What do you want?"

"I come to check on my silver," Fortunato said, eyeing the bag that was secured around my waste.

My eyes rolled slightly as I turned so the silver bag was out of his sight, bringing his eyes to me. Although my eyes were still ahead, I could catch every move this Captain made. "You'll get to count your silver when the job's done."

"I cannot let you leave the ship without giving me my pay."

A small smile crossed my face as I scuffed slightly, finally turning to see him. "Oh, believe me, brother, I'm not leaving this ship without you." My feet turned and carried me to the other end of the ship, Fortunato hot on my tale.

"No! I never leave the ship!" He yelled, only to stop me when he crashed his body in front of mine and sat his hands up. "Why are we here? Why do we come here?" He asked, gesturing out to the sea, but his words meant land.

"It's for a women," I said softer, surprising Fortunato.

His eyes grew wide and his voice softened, "You have a Madelena? What is her name?"

"Anna," I said. Her names slipping off my lips again made my mind flood with memories of her once again. Most good, while others were the last moments I saw her before she was taken from me once again.

Softly, Fortunato breathed out, "Anna. Beautiful name. Tell me Mr. Harp. Anna, who is she to you?"

I eye the man for a minute, trying to figure out his play. When he doesn't look like he could use her against me, a sigh leaves me and I turn away to look at the floor of the ship. "She's my wife. My life. My breath. The mother of my unborn child. Everything I am, everything I do, is because and for her."

Fortunato smiled, seeming to hear the words his ears have been craving for. His hand brought itself up, squeezing my shoulder slightly. "Well then, we best not let her wait any longer."

To say I was grateful would be an understatement, but I wasn't one to burst into tears and thank someone. At least not sober anyways.

When we approached land, everyone started to get to work tying up the ship and locking everything down. McTaggart followed me off the ship, stopping next to me as I finished tying the rope I had carried off.

"McTaggart, I need your help. Men and weapons," I order, standing up and fixing my jacket that laid around my body.

Raising an eyebrow and giving me one of his questionable gazes, the crazy man asked, "Why you asking me? I told you I didn't want to come back here. I can't help ya."

A sigh left my lips and I turned to completely face him, using his real name to get my point across. "Magnus, you know where I am." It was true, he knew where my head was and he knew what my fists would get me into if I started to poke around. But even then he seemed skeptical.

"Declan, I'm serious, the men I know here told me if I ever returned, they'd break my back, stuff me in a sack, drop me to the bottom of the loch."

I took a small step towards her, speaking softly but my stance showed how determined I was. "I need to get to her, I need to get to him. You never told me what happened to you here, but right now, I need you to help me." McTaggart didn't look like he was caving in with my words, seeming to hear them before. So I tried a different angle, "Help my child then."