Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Declan was outside, cutting up a deer for the meat while the young girl and her uncle slept in their tent. Declan and I were always early risers, so it was nothing for us to catch a deer, kill it, and tare it's meat and fur away from its body.

Today was no different.

My hands folded up the fur that had been keeping us warm through the cold night, setting it to the side. The small fire was starting to go out, but with my coat on it didn't bother me.

Suddenly, the sound of a gun shot makes my body jump and my hands stop their movements. The gunshot rang in my ears, revealing it's closeness to the small tents.

Dropping the fur, I grab my ax and rush out of the tent, ready to throw it at the sight of the gun holder. My body relaxes some when I notice a man lying in the snow, dead at Declan's feet. Only to tense up again when my eyes catch sight of another man aiming a gun at Declan's face.

Quietly, I make my way towards the man, his focus still on Declan. My body is quick to move, my legs latching themselves around the man's back as I lower the ax on his neck, releasing it to give it a quick turn with my hands. The man drops, dead, while my knees lay on his dead body. Splurges of blood cover my face and hands as I breath heavily, looking up at Declan who has a worried look.

We both knew that the day would come when this place wasn't safe. We just hoped it wouldn't be this soon.

Once the young girl and her Uncle woke to find the dead men before their tent, they knew like we did that it was time to move. We all grabbed out things, Declan and I wearing our coats inside out to keep the heat in.

Declan held one bag over his shoulder while I did the same. We all looked down at the dead man, Declan finally breaking the silence.

"More will come. They'll kill you to get to us."

The Uncle lets out a sigh, seeming to understand us. My body kneels in the snow, my arms quick to wrap themselves around the young girl. "Be safe," I whispered in her ear before standing up.

"You go north. We go south," Declan said, pointing towards himself and I.

The uncle pointed off towards the North, looking at us as if we were going to be joining them. I shook my head, pointing to him, "You go North." My hands moved to my chest and Declan's, "We South."

Lowering his hand in sadness, the uncle nodded before pulling out a horn, offering it to Declan who shakes his head. He smiles and holds the horn in the man's hand, "You keep it. Next time we meet."

Emily walked up to Declan, giving him a hug which he returns with a smile. She does the same with me, making me suck in a sharp breath as I kiss the top of her head. I hated leaving her, but it was the safest for her.

I pull myself away from her, my hand holding onto the strap of my bag while Declan does the same. We both nod to the young girl and old man before turning and making our way through the snow.

Declan and I were silent as we walked, nothing being said. The mountains held snow and rocks, causing every step to be just as dangerous as the one before.

We hit the Northern outpost, finally leaving the mountains behind us. Declan and I found ourselves walking up to a medium size building, both of us watching every corner like hawks. Even with night sitting in, the place held enough light to reveal that it was similar to the Ale House.

A black man was sitting by a small fire outside, giving us a small glance before returning to the fire. My eyes caught sight of a wanted sign nailed to the bar door. Declan and I's face was sketched perfectly on two pieces of paper, making my heart skip a beat.