Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Anna

Men yelling and explosions were heard outside, but the walls of this castle seemed to dime it. But not enough that I couldn't hear what was going on out there.

I faced double doors, my dress sticking to my body tightly. These doors would open and everything would change. I'd be married to another man. I'd never see Declan again. And I'd be breaking our vows to never leave the other person behind in the dirt.

But, if my heart worked and there is a God out there, none of those things would be happening.

My eyes closed as my hands turned into fists. This was my own doing, but I still felt like someone was making this happen. Like I was a puppet and Benton was controlling my words, my thoughts, and my feelings.

The only thing I knew for sure that Benton could never touch is my memories, so I took comfort in them.

One in particular.

My eyes watched the large man sit in the corner of the Ale House. I swear his chair was carved to fit his body by now. He sat in the same spot every time and ordered the same drink every night.

"Anna!" Grace yelled next to me, making me jump and look at my half-sister. "Did you even hear a word I said?" She asked?

Although I hadn't caught a single word, I nodded and waved my hand in the air. "Got it, taken care of."

Grace looked at me like I had answered correctly but she wasn't believing it. She sighed and rolled her eyes as she walked away from me and towards the back.

I returned to looking at the giant man in the corner, only finding his eyes on me. A smile played on his lips as he brought the cup up to his lips, making me blush.

The sudden feeling of a hand on my ass, smacking it made me jump and quickly whip around to see a recurring man, Trevor. He was roughly my height and okay looking but had zero respect for women. He felt they needed to stay home and take care of the house while the man goes out.

He immediately left my eyes after that. But mine apparently never left his.

"Anna, looking fine as ever," Trevor said with a smirk.

"Touch me like that again and my fine body will be kicking your ass out of here," I said, a fake smile on my face.

As I turned to walk away from this prick, my eyes rolled.

The sudden feeling of his hand gripping my arm tightly and yanking me back near him made me quickly look at him.

"Hey! Don't you ever talk to me like that again, Bitch," He said, his grip getting tighter.

My body struggled in his grip as I tried to tar my arm away. But I didn't need to worry about his grip for long because seconds after he said those words, a tall figure stepped into my side vision.

The trader from the table seemed to appear next to me, throwing one hard punch at Trevor.

Trevor's hand released me and his body toppled backwards, almost crashing to the ground. He gripped his nose tightly as he cursed. His eyes looked pissed until they met the trader's. His eyes soon went wide and he cursed once again.

"Touch her again and you won't be walking away with just a broken nose," The trader said, his voice and words making my mouth drop slightly in shock.

In seconds, Trevor was retreating back outside, away from the Ale House.

My eyes found the trader who watched the man leave before turning to me.