Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Anna

Snow and woods. Those were the two things I was familiar with seeing. Those were the things I was seeing right now.

If I paused and just stared off, I'm sure I'd be able to convince myself that I was back in Fort James with Declan leading the way with Charlie and McTaggart, instead of Grace and Chaulk.

But pausing wasn't an option, even as my body screamed to rest for a minute.

I felt like I was stumbling over every fallen branch and rock, my feet seeming to forget how to walk. Grace, Chaulk, and I had been walking through the night and now, most of the morning.

Without a thought, my hand landed on a tree, grabbing it. That seemed to start the process of my body stopping and turning to lean against it. My eyes closed and for a brief second, I tried to pull myself away from this hellhole I was living in. That I had pulled Grace in.

"Hold up," Grace said to Chaulk, my ears picking up on her feet moving closer towards me.

"I'm good," I waved my hand at her, my eyes opening again.

"You should rest," Grace stated, her eyes looking around for something.

Chaulk had stopped up ahead, but was now flying back towards us in fear. Her voice revealed how nervous she was, "What? No. We have to keep moving."

Grace turned to Chaulk, "Wait, listen." All three of s held our breath as we listened to the snow dripping off the trees. "They're not coming. We'd hear the dogs, or voices at least."

"No, I don't trust it. He's not gonna let us get away," Chaulk said, shaking her head as tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

She'd never survive in my world, but that didn't mean I could help her get a new one. With my strength slowly returning to me, I lightly pushed myself away from the tree and back on course, "She's right. We got a head start, but not enough."

"You should rest!" Grace half yelled ahead as I walked passed her and Chaulk.

"I'll rest when I'm in my husband's arms!" I yelled back, my eyes fixed on the ground or woods ahead. The next words that left my mouth were a mumble, so low barley I could hear my words. "Or when I'm dead."

I led the way through the woods and into the mountains. We may have a chance of survival if we make it past the mountains and find a secure place to stay until Declan comes.

"This was a mistake, I shouldn't have come. I've seen what he can do. He's gonna cut me from my belly to me chin," Chaulk spoke up, her words coming out in a cry. I glanced over my shoulder, finding tears straining to be held back in her eyes.

"Put that out of your mind, Chaulk," Grace tried to calm the girl, but it only seemed to release the dame of tears.

"I can't!"

My voice spoke up a little harsher then I planned. "Look, if we keep moving and you stay close, we'll be safe. Just stay close to me, you understand?"

"Okay," Chaulk's answer came out as a mumble, almost unheard behind Grace.

A plain was brewing in my mind, but, just like most plains, they seemed to have their kinks. In this case, the soldiers and guards that we were sure weren't following us were now right on top of us. In seconds, soldiers were at out front, seeming to predict our moved before we even came close to making them.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath."

My hand quickly laid on my sister's back pusher her to turn around and run. But, once again, soldiers stood in our way, both sides blocking our way with their bodies and loaded guns. If we moved, we'd die. If we spoke, we'd die.