Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Declan, McTaggart, Charlie, and I trudge our way through the snowy woods. After everything that happened in Montreal, the plain was seeming brighter and brighter for us. And easier, which is something we weren't used to.

Grace's words stuck to my mind. While I wanted to tell Declan, I was nervous that this plain would fall through or not happen at all. And we needed it too.

The sudden sound of a bird whistle was heard, causing Declan and I to turn towards a large rock. Sokanon walked out with a young girl behind her. Declan and I headed over to her.

"How was Montreal?"

"It was good," Declan said, with a small sigh.

Sokanon nodded, "Did you get what you need?"

"Yes," Declan said before looking past Sokanon at the young girl. He looked back at Sokanon, "Who's the kid?"

Sokanon glanced back at the girl before facing Declan and I. "She was stolen. I'm taking her to Kamenna to live with the Lake Walkers."

Declan's face fell, "No. We need you with us."

"I need to do this," Sokanon said determinedly to Declan. Her eyes glanced towards me, making me see the pled in them. I saw how badly she needed to do this, alone and now.

"Good luck," I said, making Declan look over at me.

Sokanon gave me a small nod, as if thanking me. She looks back to Declan, needing only one of our agreements before continuing. "Michael's expecting you with a way through that wall."

Declan lets out a small sigh, "I know. We're working on it."

"Good. You should go. He needs you," Sokanon said, feeling the tension of Declan.

I move behind Sokanon to the young girl, kneeling down in front of her. "You do what she says. And you'll be safe," I say in a calm but demanding voice, hoping she'll listen. The little girl nods, causing me to stand and head back to a waiting McTaggart and Charlie. Declan pauses for a moment before following me, letting Sokanon and the young girl go.

The four of us head to Fort James, the journey seeming harder than expected. I had to continuously stop, eat, drink, then go. Declan looked at me so worriedly, but he never said a word about it. Charlie and McTaggart noticed, asking Declan what was wrong. He either didn't answer or mumbled something.

Once we made it to Fort James, a sigh of relief hit me and I felt stronger and better than before.

We hid behind a large stack of wood near another building. Outside of the building sat some table filled with gunpowder and a small canon. A group of young Red Coats were being talked to by a head one, taking orders.

"What the fuck do you call that? Fix yourself up, son. Now, you lot return to barracks and get your assignments from the Lieutenant. Dismissed!" The young red coats left, taking their spots.

Declan turned to McTaggart, "Can you distract them?"

"I'll grab the bastard and choke him with his own balls," McTaggart smiled.

"No bloodshed," I added, making McTaggart sigh. He looks at Declan who nods lightly in agreement. "I'll fire off a pistol? Make them give chase?"

Declan shook his head, "We don't need the attention." He reaches behind him, pulling out a knife and handing it to McTaggart. He looks at the knife, sighs, before roughly grabbing it.

"I just got this fuckin' shirt." McTaggart lightly stabs himself in the side, through his shirt. Only enough for a little blood to slip out and stain his shirt. Enough for a distraction.