Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Declan

I find myself following a trail that twists, turns, and follows small hills. The village behind me has been burnt down to nothing but ash, most of the people dead. All from Red Coats.

Those who fought Charlie, Michael, McTaggart, and I are dead. Those who gave up, sit around, listening to my loud and harsh words.

"Look at your dead. Slaves. You are nothing more than slaves. Owned by a company that would turn boys into dead men in pursuit of profits. Slaves to a crown. A crown that spits on you, as you wallow in your own filth. They don't even see you as humans. A crown that forces you to cross unforgiving seas to fight free people. We are the Black Wolf Company. We are your outlaws. You call us the merciless savages, filthy half-breeds, natives of this land. We fight with the dregs, the despised! We are the killer of Redcoats. You think us devil to the Crown, and we are. We are because we are free. This..." I start and grab a bundle of fur as I walk up one of the small hills.

"...This is your worth. You are prostitutes for fur. This is our land, and you whores don't belong here. So leave, go home, and live a life decided by your masters. Or, or you turn coat and fight with us. Earn your way as free men with the Black Wolf Company. Lord Benton left Fort James by ship with two women. Where did they go?"

One of the younger soldiers spoke up near me, grabbing my attention. "They were pressing north. They pressed north to collect the rest of the provisions they need."

"Did he bring both women ashore?" I asked, taking a few steps closer to him.

The solider shook his head, "No, just a few sailors. Sir."

I nod, turning so my back was towards him, "Now, the only outpost I know further north is-"

"Moose Fort!" McTaggart yelled, making me turn to look at him. "You're having a laugh. That's a shithole. And it's cold as fuck."

Although he was right, I would walk through ice water and hell fire to save my family.

"Well, if you dogs want to have a hope of making a life for yourselves, you're going to abandon those coats and follow this man." My arm extends and I point to Michael, who looks at me with wide eyes. "He's gonna continue what I started with the Black Wolf Company."

As I creep closer to Michael, my attention and words are focused strictly on him, "I need you to take control of Fort James."

"How am I supposed to do that? Chesterfield's gonna be on the hunt for me."

My voice paused, recalling the death of Chesterfield. "Chesterfield won't be bothering anyone ever again."

"Where is he?"

"Last time I saw him, he was standing too close to the edge of a cliff," I said, making my message clear to Michael who dropped his gaze for a second. Pulling us back to the main subject, I said, "Take Fort James. Avoid the bay. Head further west. But first you need to solve things with Sokanon."

Michael sighed, "She won't listen to me, Harp. I don't know if I can fix it."

"You need to find a way, Michael."

"And what about you?"

My feet start to carry me towards Charlie and McTaggart who stand not too far from me. "Oh, we go north, to the ice."

"No, I mean is this about Anna, or is this about Benton?" Michael asks, seeming to pinch a nerve in me. If this was any other person asking me that question, I'd pin them to the ground in seconds.