Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The night takes over the woods like fire does to a leaf, over powering it until it falls. The only relief that seems to be found is the small camp fires that give light to set up tents and Red Coat men.

It took no genius, at the first sight of Declan Harp, that many would die that night. And many had.

Three men, soldiers, knelt on their knees in front of one of their tents. The fire near them gave their bloody faces light, showing the fear in them.

Harp stood behind the men, sharpening a long curvy knife. The noise echoed in the men's ears, please for mercy chirping through their lips. This was one of my favorite parts, the kill.

My own knife was yanked out of a Red Coat, not too far off from the three tied up soldiers. His body laid to the ground, blood overpowering his lower abdomen and stomach. The knife I held stiffly in my hand was swiped over the chest of the soldier, cleaning in blade.

My clothing was simple, blending in with the darkness.

I wore black, leather boots, worn out from the days of walking and muddy from the fallen ran. Tight black pants overcame my legs, the cold winter not yet bringing to life a long skirt that was ripped down the middle. My top half held many layers, especially in the winter. A tight black shirt, the sleeves cut off and pinned together sat on my bare half. Above that was a silk, baggy shirt, covered by a white button up shirt. When Winter would come, a fur jacket would sit over it, but with Winter not yet here, a black, silk jacket would hang over it, the neck the only fur of it.

Many years ago, I came to the habit of cutting my brown hair short, something that Harp seemed to like. Though it wasn't usually for a women to do that, I found it much easier to handle.

Though I'd never do the same with Harp's.

The slashing of throats were heard, followed by the screams of another as his back was repeatedly stabbed.

My boots carried me over to the third man, my head tilting slightly to the side as I looked down at his shaking body. My hand roughly grabbed his jaw, tilting it upward to face me. A smirk played on my lips before I grunted and repeatedly stabbed the man's chest, his screams echoing in my ears.

I released his head, taking a step back and watching as his body joined the rest. My head looked up, meeting Declan's brown and blue eyes that watched me with a smiling smirk.

My head turned, looking around as the Black Wolf Company either finished killing off the rest of started to pack up the Red Coats things. "Take the guns, pelts, powders and supplies! Leave nothing!" I yelled, stepping over the dead soldier's body.

Declan joined me, his hand lightly finding its way around my waste. His head tilted down to whisper something in my ear but was stopped when Samoset, a close friend of ours, appeared out of the dark woods with a Red Coat tied up in his hands.

Both of us turned, looking to Samoset and the young Soldier. "I found him hiding," Samoset said as Declan walked over to the boy, looking him over. What a coward.

"Do you know who I am, boy?" Declan asked, his voice strong and powerful like his statue.

Though the boy spoke with fear in his voice, he seemed to try to overcome it, "Declan Harp."

"I want you to do me a favor. I want you to run on home and I want you to tell them. You tell them I'm here," Declan grabbed the boy's shoulder before throwing him to the ground. He turned to leave while the soldier scrambled to his feet and ran off.

Samoset watched the boy, as did I as he ran. "You're letting him live. Word will spread. They'll know this is you," Samoset said, his voice speaking with age.