Number 1

'When I opened my eyes, I was in a dark room lying on a cold metal floor. Slowly sitting up the room began to spin. I looked around and the only light I could see was a candle in a far corner on a small round metal table. I turned my head to the right... more darkness. I heard a low groan to my left, I spun around to see my friend Johnny laying on the floor beside me.

"Johnny!" I yelled.

I went to stand up and fell back down. I felt as if I had been hit by a car. Slowly, I crawled over to him. He was facing the wall so I spun him around. His face was bloody and cut up, but mainly bruised. His hair was messed up and the blonde almost looked brown with dirt.

"Oh my God, Johnny!" I yelled.

"Alex?" he said softly.

"Yeah it's me. Johnny, what happened to you?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, slowly pushing himself off the floor, leaning on his elbows.

"You're all beat up." I grunted as I forced myself up.

He looked at me confused at first but then he said, "I don't know." He sat in silence for a few seconds, "All I remember is we were at the amusement park having a great time, and then, we got on a roller coaster..." Sighing he looked at me, "that's it." I shook my head.

"Alex, where are we!" He yelled, sitting up he sat on his knees, Johnny is a bit of a scaredy cat.

"I don't know‒" He cut me off.

"Where are we? Were we kidnapped? Did we get drugged?" I knelt down beside him.

"Johnny, I need you to calm down. I know just as much as you do, but you need to chill out and help me find a way out." I say as calmly as I can, but I'm honestly just as scared.

He pushed himself up and leaned against the wall, "Is it wrong of me to be scared?" Giving me a glare.

"If you weren't scared, you wouldn't be human." Looking him straight in the eye. He looked away and did as he was told and looked for a window or door; this was gonna be hard, though, because the room was pitch black. I remembered I had my cellphone, I went to reach into my pocket, but there was nothing.

I looked down at my clothes to realize they weren't my clothes. I looked over at Johnny and he must have realized it too because he was freaking out. I noticed he had a number on his shoulder, it said 027. I looked at mine, 028. The clothes we were wearing were one big white suit.

"Alex, did you see that!" Johnny yelled. I looked at him and said.

"See what?"

"That shadow in the corner!"

"All the corners have shadows."

"No, something moved."

I rolled my eyes, "Fine, which corner is it."

He pointed to one close to him, "That one but—"

"No, I will prove to you that no one is there," I cut him off.

"Alex." He whined.

I ignored him and walked over to the corner. I stopped right in front of it and got a shiver, but I ignored it and reached into the darkness.

"Stop!" I fell backwards to a girl scream. I turned around because Johnny was screaming like a girl. Rolling my eyes I looked back at the corner. Was it just Johnny's scream that I heard? No, I'm sure it wasn't Johnny.

"Who are you?" I yelled.

Johnny glared at me, "Why does it matter who it is? There is someone in the corner! Let's just leave them alone." I ignored him and listened.

"Emma." The girl in the corner said.

I smiled because I wanted to look friendly "Hi, I'm Alex and that's Johnny, nice to meet you."

"What the hell, Alex! She's in the corner, I'm not gonna calm down until she comes out and how do we know there is no one else in the corners!" Johnny was freaking out again.

I looked at the darkness and said, "Do you mind coming out? I mean, my friend is right, you can see us but we can't see you."

She snapped. "That's why I'm in the corner, so you don't see me."

"It's ok, we won't hurt you."

"No! They'll see me, I can't." She yelled.

"Okay, we'll leave you alone." We turned around to keep looking for a door or window. Every once in awhile we would turn around to see if she came out.

"It's no use." Emma said. "We looked for years, you can't get out."

"Who's we?" Johnny said. She didn't answer. "Who's we, Emma?"

Suddenly a huge, bright light showed up on the ceiling pointing down at a large metal table. When did that get there? Then, 4 different tubes came down and spit out 4 plates, 4 forks, and food that looked like vomit. It smelled like it too. We walked over to it, Johnny picked up a forkful, smelled it, and gagged.

"Don't eat it." Emma said. "It's poisonous.'' Johnny dropped the fork and wiped off his hands. We turned around and saw she was standing behind us.

She had blue eyes with dirty blond hair that was all over the place, she had a scar on her left cheek leading up into her hairline. She had the same clothes on, but they were also dirty and had the number 014 on her shoulder. "What does the number on our shoulders mean?"
"I thought you would have figured it out. It means you are the 28th person caught and he is the 27th."

I had to look away. I'm the 28th person caught? Making her the 14th. I wish I could just wake up.

"Who's we?" Emma looked at Johnny confused. "You said earlier—"

She interrupted. "Me and Number 1."

"Who's Number 1?" I asked.

She pointed at the corner behind me. "She is."

Me and Johnny turned around and stared at the corner as a girl stepped out. She was also dirty with black wild hair and big brown eyes. Her clothes were the same as Emma's, all dirty, but like Emma said, she had the number 001 on her shoulder.

"I don't know her name yet, I feel she doesn't trust me enough." Emma whispered.

"Uh... Hi, I'm Alex and he's Johnny." Johnny waved, clearly afraid.

"Nice to meet you Number 1, I hope you don't mind if I call you that." I said nervously, but she didn't say anything. She just stood there, staring at me with her big brown eyes. Then she put up her head and stared at the corner across the room.

"They're coming." Emma said, and her and Number 1 walked back into the darkness.

"Who's coming?" Johnny said. He started to freak out again. I walked over to the metal table and picked up the candle and carried it the the corner.

"A door!" I yelled. "I found a door come over here Johnny, Number 1, Emma, let's go!"

"You think we haven't tried that already? We aren't idiots!" Emma said. I tried to open the door... Locked, no shit. "They're coming!" Johnny was motioning me to a corner to hide with him. I rolled my eyes, put the candle back, and hid with Johnny, taking my time may I add. The door slowly opened.