Number 27

I slowly open my eyes expecting to see Number 1's face above mine making sure I'm okay, but I saw nothing of that sort. It was a white ceiling and there was a muffled voice, it couldn't have been Number 1. Suddenly there were multiple voices, there was a click and the lights turned on, blinding me. Once I finally opened my eyes again, there was a face above mine, she had a nurses uniform on. A big bright smile crept across her rosy cheeks, it was an odd sight. Looking around the room, it was clearly a hospital room, have we been saved? There were multiple nurses and doctors surrounding me, checking my pulse, shining a flashlight in my eyes, snapping their fingers next to my ears.

"Alex? Can you hear me?" Said the nurse with rosy cheeks.

I opened my mouth, a scratchy dry sound came next, "Yes."

"Wonderful!" She ran over to the monitor, checking everything, "We almost lost you there, you were the closest call we've had so far." Everything she said, she said with a smile.

"What happened?"

"Don't talk yet." Said a doctor to my left, "rest, we'll get your friend once we make sure you're all good." He patted my arm, wiping some sweat from his brow.

After some time of checking everything, the room slowly emptied, only the happy nurse and doctor remained. "Alright Alex, you are all good, there are some things we're going to have to keep an eye on, but that's normal after being in a coma for over a month."

"A month?" I nearly screamed, it had only been a week since I woke up in the dark room.

The nurse sat at the foot of my bed, "This is going to be a lot to take in, but I need you to remain calm, if you get to freaked out, some complications may arise with your surgeries. I'll get your friend to make this easier on you." Then she walked out.

"What friend?" I asked the doctor.

The doctor turned to me to say something, but the door clicked, and flew open. My heart stopped. I couldn't breath. None other than Johnny ran into the room. I've never cried this hard in my life, I cried even more than when he had died. He ran to my bed, nearly tackling me, the nurse tried to stop him, but I had clung onto him just as he had done. We stayed like that for a few seconds crying in each other's arms.

The doctor cleared his throat, "Ahem. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'm concerned that such actions may result with some, opened stitches."

Johnny sat up, wiped away his tears and sat on the side of the bed, "Sorry doc. I couldn't help myself."

"It's fine!" The nurse gleamed.

"Shall I continue with the explanation of your injuries Alex?"

"Yes, thank you."

The doctor turned around and picked up a clipboard, "Well, let's begin with how this all happened, the two of you, along with others, were in a roller coaster crash. The ride was just opened as the biggest ride in history. Any of this sound familiar?"

I just looked at my feet, nodding.

He continued, "Only a small portion of the riders survived, you were rushed to the hospital, immediately falling into a coma, with several severe injuries. Out of the 100 passengers, seven survived, all of them went into comas, Johnny was the first to wake. You, are the sixth survivor Alex, you are extremely lucky, especially with all your injuries, we were sure we were going to lose you."

"Wait, what were the names of the survivors?"

Johnny grabbed my arm, he turned to face me, "Emma Briggs, Daniel Cortez, Evelyn Mathews, and Anthony Connors."