Number 17

My body was sweating I was so hot. I slowly opened my eyes, pushing against the hot floor. I sat up, the hot breeze blew through my hair. I looked around me, everyone was still sleeping. My eyes were still only half open. I finally rubbed away the daze, and opened my eyes fully. I was trying to figure out why I was so hot. I took a better look around, we were no longer in the office, it was wide open, nothing in sight. I looked down at my hand, it had greyish pieces of dust, it was ash, I wiped my hands on my pants and stood up. It was hard to breath, my vision was all cloudy. I picked up the bag and swung it over my shoulder.

I walked around to everyone, and forced them awake. I was expecting it to change, but not this way. "What did I tell you." Daniel woke up in his usual cruddy mood. Evelyn explained to Anthony what was going on. Number 1 stretched her arms, and observed her surroundings. She walked over to me, she was trying to show me something, but I couldn't figure it out.

A small spark passed my face, and it hit me. The air was filled with smoke and ash, with little sparks floating around. My eyes were burning and my throat was dry. I needed to drink something, but we were running low on water.

"Does anyone else notice that's it's hard to breath?" Evelyn asked. Daniel stopped complaining and looked around, he observed the surroundings, picked up his hatchet, and began to walk.

"Where are you going?" I yelled out to him.

"I'm getting the fuck out of here."

I caught up to him, grabbing his shoulder I swung him around, "You can't just leave. You don't even know where you're going," I stopped to try and take a breath, breathing in the smoke, I coughed, "Let's all just go, but we can't afford to just go running around and lose people in this." He pulled his arm back, and nodded.

I turned around to tell them to follow, but no one was in sight, the air had gotten thicker, my eyes were still burning, the oxygen was dropping by the minute. "Hey!" I tried to yell, but my throat was so dry it came out all scratchy. Daniel looked back.

"Where'd they go?" His voice was scratchy, but also shaky.

"I have no clue."

"So I guess you're gonna blame this on me too."

"God Daniel, did I say that?" I scorned him, before he could respond, there was a loud cracking noise above us. We both looked up, I couldn't see anything. The crackling got louder, before I knew it, Daniel was pushing me to the ground, we both tumbled around in the ash, I look up, Daniel was pushing himself off the ground, a beam had fallen, if Daniel hadn't pushed me, I'd be dead.

When the beam fell it just pushed a whole new wave of smoke and ash into our faces. I pulled Daniel up, we had to get out. I prayed that the others would do the same, and they were okay. Still holding onto Daniel's arm, I dragged him, as we maneuvered our way through. I had tripped over some other fallen junk. I really couldn't see now. Daniel still had his hatchet.

"Why don't," we were still moving, he had to take short breaths, "I just... break... everything down... with this?" He held up his hatchet.

"No... if we did that... everything... would... fall... crushing us... all."

We had reached a wall, pushed into it, I tried to lead my way down, I tripped over something again, I was still in the lead, my eyes my as well have been closed. Still pushing against the wall, I hit the other wall, we were literally cornered.

"Shit..." I mumbled under my breath, Daniel ran into me.

"What's wrong?"

"We need to crawl... isn't that what... they always said?" I didn't answer him.