Number 9

I fell next to her on my knees. She's never actually slept. When we were in the vents, in the closet, anywhere. She never slept, she must have just been relaxing.

"You were trying to protect us weren't you?" I said softly. Being careful not to wake her. "You were afraid of going to sleep and never waking up, weren't you?"

I leaned back and for the first time being here, I actually felt relaxed. She laid there and was asleep for what felt like an hour. It must have been habit, because when she woke up she jolted and stood up really fast.

"I'm still here, you're fine." I said reassuringly.

She just looked frightened. She touched her face and pulled at the skin on her arms. That's when I noticed, she was sweating and was breathing frantically.
"What's wrong?" I asked. Maybe she had a nightmare. Why would she be pinching herself, could it be she thought she wasn't real? Could she has dreamt that she died? Or could it be she dreamt she was an illusion?

She sat down and held onto her knees. I sat down next to her and hesitantly wrapped my arm around her shoulders. She relaxed, her breathing slowed down, and I let go of her, I put my hands on her shoulders.

"You're fine, okay, I'm here, you are real, you are alive. I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." She looked down, and then swallowed, "We need to get something to drink, and eat, or else we are gonna die of starvation and dehydration, we also need to get out of these horrid clothes. They're hot, and sweaty, and who knows, maybe there is a tracker in them."

She looked up at me, and then back down at her a. She ripped off the sleeves, and ripped off some of the pant legs, she now had on a tank top and shorts, her boots didn't look too great with her new outfit, but hell, I'm sure she felt relieved.

"We also need to go find the other people." She looked back up at me, used her sleeve to wrap up her arm, the wound had started to bleed again, and I'm sure it was very painful, she tied it and kept moving, "It would also be great if we could find a place to sit and relax, to take a break." At this she stopped, and crawled another foot, and then stood up. We had crawled to a place where we could stand, she walked, acting like she knew where she was going.

We walked for a while, until we reached the end of the vent, Number 1 grabbed the screwdriver from her boot, and dug it straight into the vent wall, "Number 1, isn't that making too much noise?" She scraped down the side, and made a door of her own, she looked out, and then jumped, I heard the sound of her hitting the ground, I ran over and looked down, I couldn't see the bottom.

"Number 1?" I whispered. No answer. I turned around, guess there was nothing else to do now but jump, I run my fingers through my hair, and sigh, "I'm coming down, get out of the way." I jump, feeling like it was endless, but I soon hit the bottom, it felt like I hit cement, I stood up, my leg ached, I groaned and reached down to it, we were almost out and then she decided to jump, and go deeper, then again, it was my idea to go looking in the first place.
I felt someone grab my arm, I jolted and jumped, it was pitch black, nothing like the other vents, this was so dark, I was being pulled by Number 1. I saw a little light, it looked like a candle. I was pulled and thrown against a wall.

"Geez Number 1, do you have to be so forceful?" I say, rubbing the back of my head.

"Who the hell are you? And who the hell is this Number 1 person?" I hear them ask. Who the hell was this, and where was Number 1?

"I'm Alex, and she's the person I came down here with, wherever here is."

"Why are you just roaming around, I don't believe you. Eve, bring the candle, I need to see his face!"