Number 16

We walked through the door on the second floor. There were a few shuffling around, but nothing that was too big. We silently killed them off, we had to check the rooms. Number 1 came with me into a small office. We opened the door, it was packed, I couldn't decide how to go about this, everyone's area they had to go to was also full. I looked back at the pack, I was just getting an elaborate idea, when I caught a glimpse of a familiar face. I took a cautious step forward, Number 1 was watching me carefully. I tried to look around the zombies blocking my view, when I saw him, the familiar face, the familiar hair, the scar on his arm, I knew it, it was Johnny.

He was shuffling around the cramped space, bumping into other corpses, and into furniture, my throat went dry, but it managed to make a noise, they all stopped, I heard a thud behind me, I took a step back and in my peripheral vision, I saw Number 1, her eyes were huge, her body was all tense, her knuckles were white from the grip on her weapon, I figured it must have been Johnny, but then another familiar face got into my sight, Emma. Another strange noise escaped my throat, this time, they all turned and looked at us. Even if they attacked, I couldn't move, I wouldn't be able to kill my best friend. As they began to move towards us, I heard Daniel call out my name, I saw him running towards us. I finally took a breath, pushed Number 1 out of the way, and slammed the door in their face. I fell onto the ground behind me, Number 1 began to cry, I couldn't hold it back either. Daniel and Evelyn were freaking out, we knew they would soon burst through the door.

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" Daniel yelled at us.

"Why didn't you kill them like we planned? Evelyn interrogated us.

"What the fuck is going on?" Anthony was freaking out as well.

I try to spit it out, but I still couldn't breath, " I can't." I managed to make out between gasps.

"Why not, what makes it so hard?" Daniel was still yelling.

I was still crying, Number 1 was leaning against the wall, her eyes were still wide open, the tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"Dammit answer me, quit crying!" Daniel yelled, now he was yelling over the thuds from behind the door.

I looked up at him, "It's Johnny." When his name escaped my mouth, a whole other storm of tears hit me.

It took Daniel a while, but Evelyn remembered right away, "What do you mean, I thought..."

"So did I, and it's not just him, it's Emma to."

The door was cracking, and beginning to lean. "Who are Johnny and Emma?" Anthony asked.

"They were Alex and Number 1's friends." Daniel said.

We sat in silence, listening to the thuds, "I can't kill them. I can't." I finally said.

"I get it, why don't you two try to move to the area we cleared, we'll take care of this, Anthony will help you, me and Evelyn got this." Daniel said calmly.

I slowly nodded, Anthony held Number 1 up, I got up and walked with them, soon I heard the sound of the door break, and the sounds of them smashing in their heads. Me and Number 1 sat in the corner, Anthony stood by just in case. After a while, the sounds stopped, and Daniel and Evelyn returned. Evelyn nodded, I nodded back, and soon we stood up, and continued. I didn't even ask, I wasn't going to go look either.

After we cleared out the rest of second floor, we blocked the door with what we could find. It was sunset, everyone was exhausted. So we camped out in an old office. We also had something to eat. We had found some old Christmas candles in boxes. Anthony had some old matches with him, so we used those to give us some light, we would need to find a lighter.