Number 7

How is this possible, I've only known her for... how long have I been here? "How long have you been in here?" I asked her. It looked like she was seriously considering this. Not knowing, she shrugged her shoulders. How long have we been in here? Okay, I gotta figure this out. It was Saturday when we were at the Amusement park, then we woke up here on Sunday, did we wake up here on Sunday? I hate not knowing anything! "Did we wake up here on Saturday or Sunday?" I asked her, but all she did was raise her eyebrow. As if she would know if it was Saturday, Sunday, or next week. She's been living in a cell how would she know.

Of course, I had to ask, again. "Why are you still alive?" She sighed and rolled her eyes... wait. She sighed! As a matter of fact she's actually been making noises, and showing some emotion. That must mean she trusts me more. Right? Yea, in the beginning, she just stared at me, not grinning, crying, frowning. She has actually been showing some real emotion.

Having to know I asked, "Do you trust me?" She looked at me, and looked extremely confused. I rested my head into my hands, "I'm sorry." That's when she bursted out laughing. I looked at her with my eyebrows raised.

"What's so funny?"

She just kept laughing, raising her hand and waving it at me and shaking her head back and forth. When she finally finished she had tears in her eyes from laughing so hard. What was so funny?

"Do...I mean... what?" I put my head down. It was as if, her past here didn't matter. "Number 1?" still keeping my head down, "I'm sorry." She looked at me confused. "I'm sorry." I repeated, "I'm sorry about everything." Her face changed immediately. "I'm sorry I came here, I'm sorry you came here, I'm sorry about Emma... I'm sorry for everything." I swear I'm not gonna cry, I had already cried today, I'm not gonna do it again.

She hugged me tight and then let go of me, and just leaned back, I guess that was her way of ending the conversation. I stood up and walked around the small room, over to the shelf, it was full of boxes and strange tools. I picked up something that looked like a screwdriver, but not. I fell asleep with it in my hands.

I woke up to Number 1 shaking me.

"What? What?" I hollered.

Her face had a look of horror on it. I thought maybe the aliens were coming, but there were no sounds, nothing. I couldn't figure out why she looked so frightened, she had tears starting in her eyes. I went to sit up, but felt an immediate pain in my gut.

My wound opened up. I thought Emma closed it, I hadn't even remembered I was injured. Other than my leg, which is still throbbing. I guess that's why Number 1 was freaking out. She probably woke up and saw I was bleeding, maybe I was even having a spasm. I was really sweaty.

That's when all the pain came rushing in, my leg, my head, my gut, my arms, my legs, my whole entire body throbbed. Why was it now it was all coming back. I groaned and moaned. Number 1 was freaking out, I don't think she wanted to be left alone again.

"Don't worry, but, I think we've been here too long." Taking long breaths in between. She nodded and agreed, she helped me up, but I immediately fell with a huge pain inside of me. I felt as if I was being cut open!

Number 1 dropped to the floor in pain holding her stomach! What's wrong with us? She crawled to the door, slightly opened it, saw nothing and closed the door, and let out a huge groan. I managed to get to my feet. I knew something had to have heard that. I opened the vent, and picked her up, no matter how much agony I was in, I was determined to help her. She moaned and groaned a lot, but we were almost there. I helped her into the vent.

I fell down in anguish, I was in so much pain, it was unbearable. I knew they were coming. I stood up, reached for the vent, I could hear something coming. I reached and reached, the vent had seemed so much closer a little bit ago. I grabbed the edge, and with Number 1's help, I pulled myself up, looked down to make sure none of our blood was on the floor.

Miraculously, nothing was there. The noise was getting closer, I shut the vent, and laid down. We lay silently, we didn't move. I heard rummaging down below. I was about to explode, I felt burning on my outside, and I was freezing on the inside. I felt a tornado forming in me.

I couldn't take the pain, and for a split second, I thought I was dead. But I was reassured with another wave of pain. I swear I groaned, but no sound came out. Number 1's breathing increased. I put my hand over her mouth. Looking through the crack of the vent, and saw one, just one. Rummaging through the boxes, it looked different than all the other ones I've seen.

I saw it leave, and a huge sigh came out. The door swung open, it looked through everything all over again, but found nothing. It left again. I took my hand off her mouth. I turned to Number 1, her breathing had steadied. We lay there side by side, and I fell asleep.

I opened my eyes, and I was no longer in the vent. I was in a white bed, the room looked like a hospital room. The door was closed and covered by a curtain. I heard the door open, a nurse maybe, was it a dream, did I pass out at the fair? In walked a nurse! She looked at me and smiled, but then she reached behind the curtain, and changed. I was all of a sudden chained down, the nurse changed into a Nurs putting something into a tube, into my body!

I woke up sweating, you could've guessed I was just in the shower. I turned over and saw Number 1 sitting up. She must feel better, as a matter of fact, I felt better. I felt my stomach through the tear Emma made to sew me up, it almost felt like stitches. "Did you sew me up?"

She shook her head not looking at me, I looked at her shirt, she had ripped her shirt, she also had stitches.

My hand was sewn, my leg was sore, but not nearly as bad. Who had helped us? I remembered my dream. I crawled to her, "We need to move." She agreed by crawling behind me.

We left a trail of small scratches on the wall so we knew if we went in a circle or got lost, both happened. We went in a circle so I turned down a different path and we went in a circle again. I got angry so we went down a completely different path without leaving a trail, because we were both irritated and got lost.

Eventually we gave up, and took a break. I rested below a vent that went straight up. I felt a breeze.

I looked up and expected to see a fan, but I saw a light. My whole heart leaped. I stood up, still staring at the light. Number 1 looked at me. I held my hand up, palm facing the light, covering my eyes. It was as bright as the sun.

I squinted so I could see. I started to crawl up the wall, but for a 20-year old man, it didn't work out very well. Number 1 stood next to me now, holding her palm out as well, who knows how long it's been since we saw the light, since she saw the light. She moved closer and closer to the top, she moving faster and more smoothly than me, she stopped and went into a side vent closer to the top now, she waved for me to come up.

I tried and tried again, but couldn't reach her, my leg was still throbbing. I took a break halfway to her, and after 12 tries, I made it. Panting from no breath. She waited for me to breathe, which took several minutes, until she continued. I looked up at the top, it looked so much further than before. She took another breather in a side vent, how many floors are in this place?

I tried climbing again, another fail, I almost couldn't stop when I fell. But like before I reached Number 1. Even more out of breath. She even was panting. "Are we there yet?"

She just looked at me, by the time we got to the next one, me and Number 1 were about to pass out. We decided to take a break. I closed my eyes and was out.