Number 4

I woke up against the wall, my back was all stiff, and no one was around, "Jonny? Emma? Number 1?"

I barely heard someone call my name, "Alex?"

"Yeah, who is that?" I waited, no one answered only got a few moans. I tried to get up but failed. I took a guess, "Emma, if that's you groan twice if it's Johnny groan once'' I heard 2 moans. "Emma, thank god you're ok, where's Johnny?"

I faintly heard, "Not sure."

I sighed, "Number 1?"

"I don't know, hold on, I'm getting up." That's when something moved to the left of me/

"Number 1!" She was stuck under something, not really paying attention to what it was I crawled to her and pulled off as much as I could. She stood up and had a twisted ankle. I looked down and saw the coffins had burst open and corpses were scattered around. I jumped up and felt an immediate pain in my gut. I looked down at the wound from the Surgers.

It was bleeding through the sheets, I fell to the ground having Number 1 catch me. Emma came over all wobbly, and she said I had to close up the wound. Number 1 set me down, she opened up a coffin and ripped a piece of cloth off a shirt, wrapping it around her ankle. She pat Emma on the shoulder, smiled and hugged her. She stacked up some boxes, Emma helping her climb into the vent. Emma called out to her, "Come back! Promise me you'll come back!"

Emma searched the room for something new to cover my wound. She was also looking for Johnny. There was no sight of either of them. She came back and sat down and just looked away. Finally she said "I'm sorry, but I can't find him."

I sat in silence. She looked away again, I spoke up to lighten up the mood "Have you ever wondered what we did to be here, why we got chosen for this and not some criminal, like, why us, what did we do?"

"I don't think that really matters. I mean, sure we got chosen, but just out of luck, because you know, we are so lucky to be here. Not that old sad man who wishes he would be dead. Nope, we got chosen, and we are so lucky to be here. We were just in the wrong place at the wrong time." She started to choke up so I touched her shoulder and smiled.

"Hey, at least we're not alone."

It had been a while and I had started to get worried, Johnny was still nowhere in sight, and Number 1 hadn't come back yet. Emma was leaning against a wall throwing a piece of crumpled up paper in the air. "Hey, Emma, what was your life like before you got abducted?"

She stopped tossing the paper and grinned, "It was... better than this, I can tell you that. To tell you the facts, it wasn't easy, I had been through a lot of stuff before this. My parents died in a car accident, and I had to be put in an orphanage. I got adopted by an old man, named Larry, who I despised! He didn't care about me, he didn't feed me, he didn't even talk to me, except for the times when he told me to go get him a beer, or something like that. Why he didn't get stuck in here, I don't know, the last memory I have is moving into my new apartment with my friends. That night we went out to celebrate our new freedom. It was opening night at the amusement park so we went there." She sighed.

"What happened?" I asked.

She looked away, "I don't remember."

We decided to not talk about her life anymore. "What about you?"

I looked at her and said, "What?"

She grinned, "What was your life like?" I looked away, and shook my head, she stopped smiling, "That bad?" I nodded.

We both looked away and didn't talk for the rest of the time. We sat in silence. A sharp pain shot up my gut, and I shouted in pain, she jumped and ran to me, "Alex! Alex!" I was gasping for air. "Crap! Alex look at me, you're gonna be okay. Listen you're fine, you're gonna make it. Trust me ok she'll be back soon, I know she will. Hang in there okay?" I looked up at her, and started to cry from the pain. Emma turned around and stood on top of the stacked coffins and reached the vent. She stuck her head in it and spun around a couple of times. "Number 1!" She yelled down the vent. No one answered of course, I mean what was she expecting. She came out and sat by me and apologized, "I'm sorry, I was wrong. She's not gonna be back in time."