Number 8

When I woke up, I was freezing, the light was barely lit anymore, was it sunset or sunrise? Who cares I was so happy we had found a way. Number 1 was already awake, in fact, it looked like she didn't even sleep at all. She jumped up and started climbing right away. Why is she in such a rush? "Why are you in such a rush?" She turned her head around and gave me this evil look.

She didn't have to talk, her face expressions said it all. She thought I was stupid for asking such a stupid question. She climbed and climbed, and before we knew it we were at the top. The only problem is that there was nothing to hang onto. She tried getting it open, but with her hand it was hard, it still hurt.

I remembered the screw driver, please don't tell me I dropped it. I reached into my boot, where I thought I put it, and felt something. I pulled it out and tapped her foot with it.

I reached for her and she reached for me, we were so close. I tried, like an idiot, tossing it. Well she wasn't ready and almost fell when trying to catch it, her other hand slipped. So she missed catching it because she had to put both her hands on the wall to support herself.

I went to catch it, but jerked too fast. My foot slipped, and I fell. Falling down and down, putting my hands on the walls, my feet hurting from the pressure, I stopped myself but with so much pain, it felt like my hands were on fire. I dropped down determined to catch it. The vent below me opened up into a tube, I barely caught the screw driver.

I made a very loud noise. I started climbing, not taking time to even see if the aliens were already coming, I just climbed. Passing the first resting stop and the second, stopping at the third, but after that, I no longer stopped, I went all the way to Number 1. She was expecting it this time when I threw it, she caught it, and after a few minutes, had it open. The light shined in and burned my eyes. She pushed it all the way open. She climbed up, but stopped.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. She slid back down giving me room to go up. When I reached the top, my heart stopped, yes we were outside, but with nothing to walk on. I'm surprised the vent didn't fall over. Just after I thought that it bent to the right, I stopped leaning to the right so much. We were almost 20 feet above the roof, why were we so high up, what was the point of.... oh wait!

The tube that had opened up, could this vent be some kind of an opening for something to go down the tube. Then a ship looking thing showed above me. Number 1 pulled me down, I rested the opening for the vent on top, and down we went. We didn't want to be there when something came through there. The lid was opened above us, by a huge steel arm coming from the ship!

Number 1 pulled me into an opening on the side. Our hands burned from sliding down. I wanted to look, but I wasn't going to risk our lives. The only thing is I didn't have to look. The vomit looking food was coming down, splattering onto my face. I almost hurled.

Wait, why would they still be getting food, if we were no longer in there? Could there be other people here? "Hey Number 1," I whispered, not taking any chances, "Could there be other people here?" And there it was, her look. I couldn't 100% know what this one meant, but I think it was saying, "No duh."

Should we continue, or should we go back and help the other people?

"We need to stop!" I finally said after a few minutes of crawling. She just turned her head and gave a worry look. "No, I'm not hurt, but we need to help the others." She looked at me again and just turned back and started crawling.

"I'm serious!" I yelled.

"Shh!" She hissed back. Isn't that considered talking?

"Number 1, there is probably other people here, why else would food still be coming in?" She stopped for a split second, then continued. "Come on, what if they need our help, you got out, you can help them. Besides, how did you get out?" She just kept going. But then stopped. And she really acted as though she was trying to remember.

Why can't she remember? "You can't remember can you?" She shook her head no. I wonder if Emma or Johnny remembered? No, of course they did, right?

We took a break, we leaned our backs against the sides so our faces were catercorner to one another. She sat there thinking God knows what, and me? Well I was thinking of my past.

How bad yet wonderful it was. It's an ugly yet beautiful world. That was my saying. "It's an ugly yet beautiful world." My mom taught me that, she later confessed to getting it from a movie. It was when she was sick. I would cry and cry by her bedside when she was in the hospital. After a while she woke up from her coma.

"Mom why are you sick? Why?! It's not fair! It's just not fair..."

"Oh Alex, this planet isn't fair... it sure throws some surprises." She said this while stroking my cheek. "That's why Earth is an ugly yet beautiful world."

I felt a tear fall down my cheek.

"But mom..." I whined. "

Hush Alex... please not so loud. Mother's tired." She said while blinking very slowly. I was whispering now,

"But Mom, why you? Why not some old pervert who deserves to die?"

"Alex! No one deserves to die. Now stop talking about it." She hollered at me, her voice cracking. Her coughing was getting worse.

I let out a huge sigh, and an image of her in the park just weeks before she got sick came to me. We were having a picnic. Her legs straight out in front of her with her right leg on top of the left leg, her strong arms held her body up. Her long black hair lying gently over her shoulders, while the rest flowed in the wind.

"Mom, Mom, look here, I found a roly poly!"

"That's nice honey, come sit next to me, it's time to eat."

"Dear, come sit down." My mom called to my dad, he was holding the kite for me.

I let out another huge sigh, that's right, that was when he was still tall and skinny, after mom got sick he got a beer gut. Another image appeared, the day we found out she was sick.

We were on the beach, I was running ahead looking at all the pretty seashells. She followed behind, my dad further behind, picking up shells I dropped. My mother went down to pick one up for me that I missed, "Alex, you left one, I think it's the pre-" She stopped mid sentence, her eyes huge, hunched over like igor. Then she fell. My Dad came running, dropping all the seashells. "Veronica!" My Father yelled. I just stood there staring at my mom as foam came out of her mouth, she was shaking like mad.

Another sigh came out of me, Number 1 was staring at me now. She rested her hand on my knee and gave a small smile of reassurance. Then I rested my hand on hers, I was gonna get up when I grasped Number 1's hand. She was shaking like crazy.

"What's wrong with you?" She just pulled away, and started crawling. "What's wrong with you!"

"Shh!" She hissed again.

"No!" She turned her head and gave me another evil look.

After a while we could stand and walk. She collapsed of fatigue.