chapter 8-le mémoire

The next thing she knew after the blackout was that she's on a hospital bed again, in her cast still, and continued to have no idea what is going on with herself. The beeps and screeched of the machine next to her bed made her open her eyes and saw... darkness? Then Spencer realized her eyes were covered by a mask. When she wanted to tell everyone that she is awake she realized there was a thin tube on the side of he mouth, what seemed like an oxygen tube. She spat out the tube and realized no voice came out of her mouth, but the people out there probably notice the tube was out of place and saw slight movements she made.

    A familiar voice asked, "Are you feeling okay now?"

    Spencer's mouth moved and nothing came out of it, only the agony of her throat tissues tearing since it is very dry. Whoever is outside lifted the eye mask off her face and a bright light shone right into her eyes as she squinted and adjusted to such brightness.

    As soon as she opened her eyes fully she saw a familiar figure standing above her-Dr. Shin. she smiled at Spencer, the edges of her eyes wrinkled.

    "Do you need some water?" the lady asked caringly.

    She nodded, and Dr. Shin grabbed a glass on a table nearby. There was a straw in the cup, Spencer sipped and felt her throat become moist, "I feel pretty good, what happened?"

    Dr. Shin glared at her face, casting a shadow over it, "Nothing big, just that you've been asleep for about 6 days."

    "Six?"

    She smiled kindly and nodded, "But you are good now though we detected something off with your spinal cord and nervous system, sweetheart, you have the 7th sense."

    "What exactly is that? Everyone talked about it and I myself don't even know what that is."

    "It is a special sense that directs you to do the right things if you haven't experienced it for the rest of your life," she paused as Spencer's eyes were filled with curiosity, "oh I'm sure you have, you might not have realized. But a side effect of that is that you sometimes lose memory, it seems like you are fine now, since you remember me. Do you?"

    "Yes, ma'am."

    She chuckled but soon looked at her with sympathy, "Sometimes having the 7th sense might be a privilege you can use here, but sometimes the side effects will be damaging, unbelievably damaging. Do you feel anything different, like your memories?"

    Spencer paused to think. She remembered everything that happened recently. She started to think about the things that happened to her since preschool, all the way to her arrival in Incheon... nothing seems off.

    Suddenly there was a click in her brain, she has been an exchange student and went to Australia when she was in 8th grade and there she met a cute boy whose name she couldn't remember as well but the last name was Lee. they were very good friends because they both had Korean as their first language but somehow spoke English better.

    "Actually, I did remember a few things that happened when I went to Australia as an exchange student back in 8th grade...." her voice went off after she saw someone familiar peeking through the window on her right, where Dr. Sin's back faced. Then it disappeared when she squinted her eyes and tried to get a better look. Oh, maybe that was just a hallucination. With that thought, she continued to talk.

    "I was at Abbotsleigh, a boarding school, then I remember that I met this very person who I became good friend with during the times I was in Sydney, we lost contacts when I went back to the States though."