chapter 21-predators and preys

Her hands were warm, her nails dug into her palm as she held the gun by her side. Though she had both hands on it, the gun was heavy, she struggled to keep her grip. The air smelt metallic, almost like blood. It was quiet after Felix's steps faded away in the distance, she can only hear her own feet and occasional gulps down her throat.

She drew in a deep breath and walked through the building carefully, stopping at every hallway intersection, leaning on the wall, holding her gun up, just like how she trained. The building was unpolished, the walls are still cement, it seemed more like an abandoned construction site than an enemy base.

Maybe because it isn't the enemy base.

Maybe because they were just tricked.

Maybe they were the dumb preys, thinking they are the predators, uncoding the enemy's connection disruptor.

She shook these thoughts off her head, maybe it will just go as Chan and Woojin have planned.

Then, in front of her was a room that didn't match the building at all, the lights were lit on the inside, the bright rays seeped out of the blinds. Her body felt chills running through as she slowly came to a stop. It was deep inside the building so they couldn't see the room when they just came in.

The placed her hand over the little Bluetooth device in her ear, just about the was about to speak, she heard a deafening sound then felt a sharp pain piercing her shoulder. She fell backward, her gun barely in her hands.

Standing in front of her about 20 yards away was a man dressed in all black. Smoke still rising from the dark opening of his gun.

Then Spencer heard steps running towards her, it got louder and louder. She felt strong hands helping her up, she turned her head to see Felix holding her up with one arm and aiming at the man with the other. She was leaning on him and raised her uninjured arm up to the man, her hand shaking, she couldn't fight the agony in her left shoulder any longer, her shirt sleeve was drenched in blood, it was still gushing out, dripping all over her body.

Bang!

Felix pulled the trigger, the man did too, about half a second late.

The next thing she knew was that the man fell on the floor and they dropped as well watching blood erupt from Felix's side as he got shot, red fluids were spilling out like a fountain, she watched him pressured his hand on the wound, closed his eyes, and bit his lips in pain.

Spencer was struggling to sit up, the air smelled like ashes and metal, it smelt bloody. She used her last bit of strength to pull the trigger at the man, causing him to fall down once again. Then she pressed the button on her earpiece.

"We... need s-support... heavy injury..." She was trying hard to make it sound clear, she breathed too fast, and fell back down after those words.

The Bluetooth earphone fell onto the floor.

There were yelling, the only sound heard in this ghostly silence.

Chan was running towards the building after he heard the first gunshot. Woojin was with him as well, then two more shots were fired at almost the same time, Jisung and Hyunjin ran towards the sound. Then they heard Spencer and everyone was rushing to her.

They got here quickly since most of them were coming even before she said anything. Chan and Woojin were the first ones, Chan hurried over to the man while Woojin yelled into the earpiece, signaling everyone to come over and help, a few seconds later, there was foot stomping in the hallway, the rest came.

"Jeongin, call the ambulance!" Woojin yelled orders while pouring water on Felix to wake him up and clean the wound.

"No!" Chan walked over after checking that the man was indeed dead, "We can't let the enemy be alerted, Seungmin, take care of their wounds."

"We should get out of here first," Minho said. He tried hard to keep calm.

Chan nodded and told everyone to carry them out without tearing open the wounds again.

Neither Felix nor Spencer woke up, their faces were pale.

They were placed on the back seats, Seungmin was struggling to clean the wounds in the tiny space, he put bandages on it after the bullet was taken out and the injury was sewed closed, sanitized too.

"They are good now, the wounds aren't as deadly, they will wake up soon," seungmin said to Chan while he wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"Should we report this to the headquarters?" Jisung asked.

"We can't, we weren't able to disable their disrupter," Changbin said, he's been quiet the whole time.

They were staying in the car, Chan said it's better to start driving after they wake up. They checked on Spencer and Felix's blood pressure, heart rate, and other health data every fifteen minutes, it went on for about one and a half hours before Spencer woke up.

"Oh thank God!" Seungmin said, relieved that she was actually saved.

"F-felix?" her voice cracked, she saw Felix still lying on the seat.

"Don't worry, he will be fine, he didn't get hit on the main organs," Changbin reassured her.

She turned her face to see the bandage, her shirt was ruined, she sighed but not because of that, it was because seeing Felix's pale face, she remembered that he said to her "I like the shirt" when she wore it back in Incheon.

"Who was that?" Spencer asked, "who was that man?"

"We don't know yet, Hyunjin is working on it," Chan told her.

She nodded.
"Want some water?" Jisung said, handing her a bottle.

She took a long sip and closed the cap, "How long before the wound heals?" she asked Seungmin.

"A month, at least," he avoided her eyes.

"What?"

"Don't say that," Chan looked at her, "he worked hard to take care of both of you's wounds."

"Sorry."

"Chan, what are we doing now?" Jeongin asked.

"We wait for Felix to wake up, we wait for Hyunjin until he figures out who that man was, look up his background data, and connect all puzzle pieces and find the real one behind this," Chan said to him.

They've been in the car for a long time, this place seemed abandoned, no people or cars passed by.

Hyunjin's fingers were flying across the keyboard and clicks were heard. There were sweats on his forehead, even though the air conditioning was on. Then finally he spoke, "Done. Chan, I found him."

Everyone crowded around the computer, trying to squeeze in.

"His name is unclear, but he goes by Cho, he doesn't have a real job, he's 27, and is working with the supposed enemies."

They sighed, the information wasn't as they expected, it was useless.

Then, they heard gunshots in the distance, many of them...

~~~~~

Hi sorry I didn't upload too much, I had interims and tests and I'm close to failing biology and science, my language arts teacher lost my summer reading and is making me do it again, she also lost my other assignment so I had to redo that too. I like this guy but he doesn't know or like me back so just, in conclusion, fml.