Chapter 5

Luke arrived at the mailbox once again. Ryan stood up.
"Hey." He smiled. She did to.
"Hey." They started walking together in the grass in the direction of the park. It was Tuesday, after school; a day after "the incident." After school that day Luke texted Ryan to see if she was ok. She hadn't responded until hours later and all she said was
"I'm fine."
Luke knew that was a lie.
"Lets talk tomorrow." Was all he said back. At lunch earlier that day Luke led Ryan to a bench outside.

"Can I ask you about..." Luke paused. Ryan nodded.
"Did you know them?" Ryan didn't say anything.
"Just a yes or no." Ryan paused, then hesitantly nodded yes.
"Who were they?" Ryan didn't say anything.
"Sorry. Did they do stuff like that before?"
Ryan nodded.
"How long...? Past month?" She shook her head.
"Past two?" No.
"Past three?" Yes. That was the whole time they had been at school that year. How had Luke not noticed that entire time?
"Damn." He hissed under his breath.
"... Why?" Ryan didn't answer.
"You should tell an adult..."
"NO." Ryan spoke for the first time that day.
"Ryan you really should. I mean this is kind of a big deal."
"No. I can't. You don't understand... I... if they know then... I can't... Luke just trust me." She pleaded. Luke stared at her, surprised.
"Please." Luke nodded.
"Ok, fine. But I want you to be safe. Tell me if anything happens. Be careful." Ryan looked away from his eyes. "I will."
That day at lunch they had agreed to meet at the mailbox again.

"So. Do you take the bus home from school or what?"
"Oh I walk home. I know I could take the bus but it's to crowded for me."
"I see. How is it at home?"
"It's fine."
"Are your parents nice?"
"Well." Luke looked at Ryan, concern in his eyes. Ryan noticed his worry.
"Oh no. Not like that. They are very nice. They just... I don't know." Luke didn't want to push it but he wanted to make sure Ryan was safe.
"What are they like?"
"They just... I guess I just can't really talk to them. I mean I love them but I don't think they know..." Ryan broke off.
"Know...?" Luke tried.
"Forget it."
"...Ok." They continued to walk. 
"So uh... you like anime right?"
"Of course." Ryan said in an almost offended tone.
"What's your favorite? I never asked you." Ryan thought about it. 
"Too many. I've been watching Nanbaka recently. That's funny. Only a few episodes though."
"Oh I've heard of that one. Haven't watched it though. Have you watched Ouran High School Host Club yet?"
"Yea. It's..."
"Do you ship Tamaki and Haruhi?" Luke interrupted.
"Oh this." She mumbled.
"If you do, I'm going to kill you." She looked up at him, surprised.
"Before you say anything let me explain. Ok first of all why the hell would anyone ship that? Tamaki is SO desperate. What is cute about that? Like oh goals! It's so adorable how Tamaki acts around Haruhi! Like no stop. IT IS A ONE SIDED RELATIONSHIP! Since when has Haruhi ever found him flattering? It's simply not cute! Two. When have any of these shippers ever stopped to actually analyze this??? Is everyone that blind? Do people not know what gender roles are? Have we ever considered how much of a dick Tamaki is? 'Oh Haruhi! You need to act like a young lady!' How is THAT cute? Um... hello? He's OBSESSED with gender roles. Have people not noticed that? If so how is that appealing??? Not to mention he's kiiiind of a pervert. He's low key obsessed with seeing Haruhi in dresses, swimsuits, NAKED!!! Three. Haruhi. Does not. Need. Tamaki. Ok every time he's like "ohhhh Haruhi! Love me!" Shes like "no." Shes so chill and cool about it. She doesn't care. At least not in my opinion. So if you ask me 'then who DO you ship her with?' NO. NOONE. She is a strong, independent human who doesn't need a man!!!" Luke's face was red as he gasped for breath.
"So that's my essay on how that ship is the root of all evil and needs to die in a fire. Don't judge me." A smile formed across Ryan's face.
"Impressive. You are very well informed about the subject. I completely agree."
"Really? I'm surprised." Luke got out in between breathes.
"Why?" Ryan said suspiciously, as though Luke thought she was an activist for the ship.
"I'm just surprised someone agrees with me is all. Most people I've met love that ship."
"Yea no not me." Ryan laughed.
"Good." They turned the corner. They walked for a minute in silence.
"I'm surprised I haven't seen you at school for three whole months."
"Well I tried not to show my face much."
"Why?" Ryan laughed. Luke's face was serious.
"Oh Common. I'm an ugly dinosaur."
"Dinosaurs are adorable."
"Well then I'm a... a cockroach."
"That's impressive that you have the capability to make cockroaches look good."
"Are you flirting at me?"
"No."
"You are."
"No I'm not."
"You totally are!" Ryan punched Luke playfully.
"How do you know?"
"Because you sound like you are."
"Maybe that's because you want me to be."
"Shut up!" Ryan burst out in laughter. Luke looked at the ground and smiled.
"Well maybe I do." Ryan mumbled quietly.
"And maybe I am." Luke smirked at her and she looked away, blushing. They continued to walk. It was brighter then the last time they walked together. The sun sent waves of color over the  sky. Pink, red, orange all blended together and washed over the earth as if reflected over water. Ryan and Luke walked together under the masterpiece, splashing in the puddles of light. The trees creaked gently above them and the two let the peacefulness of the afternoon replace their words.  Eventually they arrived at the park. They sat down at the same bench as last time. The wood was covered in the light of the drowning sun and it squeaked as they sat down. Luke fidgeted with his thumbs in his lap while Ryan leaned back against the bench and looked up.
"Hey Ryan."
"Hm."
"I just wanted to... um. I'm sorry about... about... last time and with the... hands and I don't know what I was or why I..."
Ryan stretched her arm over to put her hand on Luke's. She gently moved it to sit with her's on the bench. Luke opened his mouth, to say something, anything, but closed it. There was nothing to say. No words fit into the moment. Thoughts jumbled up in Luke's mind, knocking against each other, chaotic. Was this actually happening? Was this romantic? Or just a friend thing? Did friends do this? Did she like him? What should he say? How long would they sit like this? This doesn't mean anything, Luke. Don't be like Tamaki. She's just a friend. A really cool, emo, anime friend. Nice. Maybe they could rock out to Motionless in White some time. That would be great.
"Thank you." Luke looked at Ryan.
"For what?"
"Everything. I mean... do you have friends?"
"Yea."
"So you didn't have to sit with me."
"Why wouldn't I? Your really cool. I mean you like bands I like, you like anime, you like art, your just a really cool person in general, like you're super nice and chill and..."
"The point is." Luke stopped talking.
"You talked to me when no one else did. People barely bat an eye at me, unless it was to come over and call me a fag or some shit." Luke didn't say anything.
"And thats really brave. I mean maybe not to you but in my point of view. You're... You're just really cool... thanks." Luke looked away.
"...You're really cool to, Ryan."