Chapter 9- Unedited

Salina and I have spent the entirety of the past couple days with Imad and Karim. We'd secretly been stopping by their place regularly to drop off meals and to see how they're doing. As Salina played with Karim, Imad had pulled me aside to have a private conversation.

Running his fingers through his curled hair, he sat me down on the couch as he sat on the floor in front of me. "What is it you wanted to tell me?" I asked quietly so our siblings wouldn't be able to eavesdrop

"Our people want to leave the pack" he saids softly, his arms rests on his knees and his eyes refuse to reach mine. " I don't understand" I say. From all things he could have said, these were the last I thought he would utter. Wanting to be able to speak freely, I lead us outside his cabin and a little into the woods where we could speak more privately.

"They..we want to become rogues" he says- louder this time . "But why?" I abruptly stand in shock, "Why would they want to become rogues? They'll die as lone wolves"

"Why are you pretending to be so foolish? The people of this pack treat us like slaves, and they have been since we arrived" Imad growls at me for the first time, causing my wolf to wake.

I'm slightly stirred by his unfamiliar rage but, I keep composed. This is the first time I've seen him this angry and his anger seems to be directed at me. "Imad, I know things are difficult now but.." He growls before I can voice my words. "Difficult? Again, we are nothing but mere slaves to these people!"

"Where is all of this coming from Imad? Why are you so angry? " I'm genuinely puzzled. He hadn't voiced his anger in prior days.

"Angry? I'm in every right to be angry. My brother almost experienced death because your mate and his people refuse to give our people the rights of every other pack member. We work 80+ hours a week to make ends meet while they reside in their mansions and that doesn't include the uncompensated work we do as omegas. We're nothing but dirt under their feet and it's time we leave"

"When was this decided and why wasn't I made aware of it?" I was feeling isolated and slightly betrayed. Imad had never kept anything from me, we've been like brother and sister since we kids. " I think you know the answer to that Amira." He says staring me dead in the eyes waiting for me to deny the truth "Leo.." I adverted my eyes from his in shame. I didn't know being mated with Leo would cause such a bridge between me and my family.

"I'll speak to him- to the Alpha, about all of this. I'm sure they'll be willing to make changes for us." I say ready to head to the Alpha's office, "No! Don't. The last thing we want is have them know of our plans. They're selfish people and they hate us, but they won't give up free labor so easily, they never wanted us here in the first place, don't forget that"

"That's not true, Imad, that was in the past, things have changed.." I said trying to convince him but failing to convince myself of my assumptions.

"Do you actually believe that?" He faces me with questioning eyes. I nod averting my eyes from his. I wasn't so sure I believe it myself. I find Imad shaking his head at me "You're unbelievable, you keep lying to yourself" he shakes his head again, clearly disappointed in me. A feeling of guilt builds in me and realize I need to be honest "Okay.. maybe things aren't great, but we can change things, I believe that. I'll set up a meeting with the Alpha. We should  also meet with the pack as a whole.People may be open to change. I just need you to have a little faith in me before you decide to leave."

He sighs " How early can you meet with the Alpha?"

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious, Bliss and I are slowly building a friendship but the only relationship I have with the Alpha is that I'm his best friend's mate. I still find him intimidating. "I'll go speak with him now, do you mind if I leave Salina with you for another hour?" He nods in appreciation "Of Course not" he says before we part ways.

I reach the door to the Alpha's office but I stand on the outside skeptically. What do I even say to him? Would he even welcome into his office ? I decide that no matter the outcome, I needed to do this for my people. I can't stand to watch them living in poverty any longer.

One knock on the door is all it took before it was opened, and my mate was on the other end as to surprised to see me as I him.

" Amira" he says opening the door wide to allow me entrance. I step into the room to find the Alpha behind his desk , typing away on his desktop. " He averts his gaze for a slight second to greet me then continues typing away. He pays me no mind after that, I'm guessing he thinks I'm here for Leo.

Leo lowers his lips to my ears, the fan of his breath causes me to shiver. This was the nearest I'd been to him in days. 

" Im sort of busy, we're working on a case, can we speak later, maybe some place a little more private?" Leo says, his face hinting that he doesn't want to talk with his friend nearby.

" I can step out if you two need a few minutes to talk" he offers

"No!" Leo and I say in agreement

" No, really it's fine" Alpha Jaxon assures already getting up from his chair 

"I'm actually here to speak with you Alpha. Can I have a few minutes with you, alone ?" I ask nervously. He sits back down and nods "Of course" . I probably should have chosen better words because I can see Leo stiffen. He doesn't want me alone with Jaxon. The Alpha turns to Leo sensing the tension in the room. " Is that alright with you?"

Leo is silent for a few seconds before he nods and leaves the room clearly unhappy.

"What is it you wanted to say to me that couldn't be said in front of your mate?" The Alpha ask impatiently.

Normally I would shrink and cower at his tone but I had a surge of confidence I've never had before "11 years ago my people and I joined the pack, since then we've been treated as less than pack members...."  Jaxon was quick to cut me off "How so?" he growled, slamming his hands on the table and leaning over so his face hovered mine. "This pack gave you and your people a home. Your people and mine had an agreement as to your role in this pack if we let you join. If you're ungrateful, then do us a favor and leave. We won't stop you."

My heart raced "That's it? After all we've contributed to this pack? You ask us to leave because we ask for the same rights every other pack member has?" I raised my voice and growled lowly.  " I would watch your tone Amira, if you weren't mated to my Beta..." I jump from my seat prepared to shift if I need "Kill me? Go ahead! You're nothing but a coward and a racist. This entire pack is full of fools, we'll gladly leave! " I spew before I receive an unexpected slap that was enough to knock by body to the ground.  "Imad was right" I thought to myself. We should have just left silently. As tears well in my eyes, I hear the door open and my mate walks in with bewildered eyes, which switch to ones of anger quickly. 

"You laid your hands on my mate?" Leo growled, claws surfacing as he took slow heavy steps towards Jaxon. 

Jaxon's eyes suddenly softened and he realized his wrong doing. "Sorry, my wolf took control. Your mate has a smart mouth" he accused. "So you thought you could hit her?" he says before Jaxon received a hit across his face. 

Then the fight began. 

_________________________________________________________________

Sorry this chapter wasn't so great but, I wanted to update  for you guys while I'm on break. 

Thanks for all the new reads and comments, I very much appreciate them! 

Don't forget to vote and comment. 

Much love and hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving !