Chapter 12 |Unedited|

Yesterday Leo had spoken to Jaxon about changes being made to better care for my people. I feel I'd wasted my time speaking to Jaxon alone. It only took less than 3 minutes for Leo to convince Jaxon to allocate more funds to care for my people, I could have avoided our altercation with Jaxon if I'd dedicated more time to swaying Leo first.

"Ready?" Leo asks reaching for my hand. I take his hand and he leads us to the pack meeting room located in the smaller building behind the pack house. Today was the first day pack leaders were going to sit and discuss the new ways in which the pack would function. Knowing that my friends and family's lives would be improving brings me so much joy. I can't wait until they all have the opportunity to live comfortably and without troubles.

Leo and I are the last to enter the meeting room. We really need to work on our punctuality.

Sitting down and gazing at everyone present brings me a bit of discomfort. Although the table we sat at was large which created some distance between people, I can feel several eyes gaping at me. Leo's mother is here, even when avoiding eye contact with her, I can feel her gaping eyes.

"Are you okay?" Leo ask suddenly. His hand rests on one of my knees and he massages it to comfort me. I smile at him to assure him that I am fine.

"Since everyone is here, let's begin" Alpha Jaxon says from the head of the table.

"Why exactly are we here dear?" Judith quickly ask, her mood is already sour. "I see you failed to read the email I sent Judith. If you had, you would have seen that the email was detailed in explaining our goals for today" Jaxon says bitterly, he doesn't like her tone.

"I saw the email, I just assumed you were feeling whimsical when you sent it. Why should we help those mutts who invaded our territory, they should be grateful we took them in" Her voice is calm, but her words felt lethal and directed towards me. After her spew, she turns her head slowly until her eyes find mine. My body instantly tenses, and I look down in fear of what she will say next, it is clear I am her next target.

"I didn't know you were so easily swayed by opened legs, you've made her problems yours. I'm disappointed in you Leonard, I raised you better than this" Her words take everyone by surprise, even Cora wears a startled expression. Everyone had expected her to throw insults at me, not her own son. "Judith, that is enough!" David growls. This was the first time I'd ever heard David speak. My first impression of Leo's parents was that his father regularly allowed his mother to do most of the talking. He came off quiet for a male, especially one that used to hold the title of Beta. Judith looks surprised at her mate's outburst, she huffs and turns away from him in defiance but does become mute.

My head raises and I gently slide my hands into Leo's, wanting to comfort him the same way he'd been comforting me. I feel guilty in a way. I feel I am the cause of the tension Leo's been having with his mother. Her dislike for me has turned into an anger towards Leo for his decision to accept me as his mate.

I'm sorry, I can leave if you think it will make everyone more comfortable I mind-link to Leo.

No, and thank you for being so calm. I'm sorry about my mother. He smiles warmly at me and places a soft kiss on my forehead.

The rest of the meeting is somewhat civil. Everyone listens attentively to Jaxon and Leo's slides on what changes will be enforced within the next few months, some of which includ proper housing for all pack members, free or affordable access to healthcare within the pack and outside. Leo also spends some time explaining how the pack will be more accommodating to my people (current omegas) without inconveniencing other pack members. He proposes the building of another pack house where those who cannot afford to live in homes outside the pack can reside. His other preposition is giving an allowance to members or families that qualified for one or fall below the poverty line.