Chapter 16 | Unedited |

"You're late" Braden growls at me. I'm still trying to catch my breath from the running I did when rushing over to the field. I check the time on my phone and it reads 6:11am "I'm sorry, I-" I tried to explain myself while panting for air,  but was met with another growl that shut me up. "I don't care for excuses, do eleven laps around the field, one for every minute that you were late. " 

"Eleven? But the field is a mile long, you can't possibly think I can do that." I look between him and the field in bewilderment. We both slept late last night and I'm still fighting exhaustion, I don't understand how he's fully functional at this hour. 

"If you were a human I would agree it's cruel, but you're not, so eleven laps. I'll be timing you."

He starts the timer and I'm on my feet. I don't think I'm going to make it around eleven times, but I'm going to give it my best. 

My second round jogging around the field and I'm already dripping in sweat. The sun was slowly making its appearance causing the cool air to turn warm.

 As I cross the end mark for the third time, I dread the next round. I'm already so tired, I don't know how much more of this I can take. 

"Eight more laps Amira! " Braden shouts at me from a distance. I'm instantly back on my feet steadily increasing my pace. 

When I've finished my 7th round, I'm completely drenched in sweat, my hair curled back to my natural texture from the moisture. My clothes are sticking to my skin and I'm fighting to catch my breath. I decide to take a break, disregarding  Braden's taunting from across the field. I rest my hands on my knees keeping my head down to avoid the light and try to focus my breathing. The sun had fully risen, worsening my discomfort, there were no trees nearby to provide even an ounce of shade near the field and I'd left my water bottle on the bench at the start of the track. 

I hear a whistle blow and look up to see Braden's frowning face. He looks irritated - as usual. 

"Keep resting and I'll add more rounds." He shouts some more. I take one large breath before continuing on. I think about how far I've gotten and decide four more rounds wouldn't be so bad. 

As I finish the final lap, I see Braden stop the timer. I'm instantly down on the ground, arms and legs spread out on the grass gasping for air, legs aching.  

Braden hovers over me, providing much needed  shade. "How do you feel?" he asks, offering me a hand. "Parched" I tell him taking his hand and letting his strength pull me back up "but alive."  He passes my ice-filled hydro flask water bottle to me and I quickly chug the entire bottle. 

"It took you two and a half hours to run 11 laps" I can't read his face, is he pleased or disappointed? 

"It that good?" 

"Normal wolves -  male or female -  should finish in at most 30 minutes. So no, that means we have a lot of work do." I pout feeling embarrassed by how long it took. He pets my head laughing "Don't look so down, I know people much slower" 

 "Who? " 

"My grandmother, she'll be 200 next week. That being said I want you here even earlier tomorrow, see you at 5am." His words are said sternly, leaving no room for my disagreement and after scolding me once more, he grabs his things and jogs off. 

"I think you did well" I'm greeted by the sound of my mates voice, which instinctively puts a smile on my face. He provides another bottle of cool water. 

"Thank you" I roll my eyes playfully and laugh at his attempt to make me feel better.

He laughs at this "I mean it, you didn't give up at least, I'm proud of you." he kisses my forehead and grabs my hand. "I'm surprised to see you here, you're usually busy this hour"