Chapter 10 |Unedited|

Leo threw the first punch. Jaxon was slightly taken by surprise but quickly got on his feet after his fall. Leo fought intensely, each of his punches were intended to leave a mark but Alpha Jaxon on the other hand defended himself without actually fighting. He did more dodging than anything else, and kept backing away from my mate but was followed and hit repeatedly. I was appreciative of Jaxon's patience and lack of anger during Leo's rage. Jaxon took several punches willingly to avoid harming Leo. As Alpha he was naturally stronger than Leo and could really do some damage if he really wanted to. I would hate for Leo to be hurt because of me. He did what any other male wolf would do if his mate was harmed. 

"I don't want to fight you" Alpha Jaxon stated repeatedly when Leo takes a break from hitting him to roll up his sleeves. I was on the floor still slightly dazed from the slap, but very much aware that I needed to calm Leo down before he could continue. 

"Leo" I called to him, standing up to approach him.  His eyes were still darkened, but my voice caught his attention.

"It's alright" I say pacing towards him cautiously "Look..I'm okay" I displayed the sides of my face and other parts of my body to ensure to him that no harm was done to me. 

Leo's eyes shift back to their normal shade of brown, he gently grabs my hand, pulling me into his chest. "I'm sorry that I allowed that to happen" he says while using his thumb to wipe the tears from my eyes. I ....... "It's not your fault" I say hating that he blames himself for the Alpha's lack of restraint. I will admit that I provoked him, but I didn't like his tone during our entire discussion. It's as if he views myself and my people as garbage beneath his feet, but this isn't much of a surprise to me. 

" I'm sorry. I admit hitting her was wrong and again I apologize." Jaxon said. His apology sounded genuine but Leo was in no mood to speak to him. "It's not me you owe an apology" Leo says waiting for Jaxon to admit to his wrong doings  "I value our friendship Leo,  but your mate has a smart mouth and I believe she is the one in the wrong for provoking me in the first place. What did she expect of me when she raised her voice? She knows my wolf does not tolerate disobedience. It's also beneath me to apologize to an omega" Now calm, Leo shakes his head and gently grabs my arms leaving the room. It seems he lost all of his energy fighting Jaxon. 

We walk in silence for what feels like forever. We make our way out of the mansion which was task on it's own. By the time we reach the first floor, it feels like we've walked a mile. We continue through the doors out of the mansion and walk through the gates into the woods. I think I know where we're heading. 

 As predicted, Leo gently sits me on the bench.He prefers to stand in front of me, hands in his pocket with a look of agitation. We're at the same bench he lead me to the day we officially met. I think this may start being our place of reflection. 

"Do you want to sit?" I move to make room for him on the bench. He doesn't answer but sits anyways. "What did you need to say to him that couldn't be said with me in the room. Was it about me?"  I shake my head  "It wasn't. It was about something else" 

"What? " he asks staring at me impatiently. "Leo,I'm sorry.." 

"Stop apologizing" he says calmly while standing back up "I'm tired of your apologies, all I want is an explanation. Just answer the question. What did you say to him?" 

"Okay" I say standing to face him " I confronted him about the treatment of the omegas here, how we're treated as less than and then things sort of took a turn for the worst. He said some things that upset me and then I said a few words that he may have considered distasteful, and you know the rest" 

He frowned before stepping closer to me " I need you to be less vague, what was said exactly?" 

"I called him a coward and a..racist" I mumble lowly knowing this would offend him. Jaxon is still his best friend. 

To my surprise Leo appeared conflicted. I caught him opening his mouth slightly as if to say something and then deciding against. He did that for a while until I urged him to say what he wanted to. "Jaxon can be intolerable  at times but we've been best friends for years. He's not that type of person. I think you may have interpreted whatever he said wrongly." 

I shake my head in disagreement. "My people live in extreme poverty Leo, and I'm simply not okay with that. Especially when this pack has more than enough funds to support them financially. "  

" Those were the conditions your people agreed to when they joined. We didn't have room to accommodate your people when you first arrived. It wouldn't have been fair to already existing pack members to live below their means to accept your people." His entire statement was spoken in past tense. That means there was more than enough funds now to care for my people, the pack leaders just didn't want to . 

"That was over a decade ago, you're saying that even now, there aren't  not enough funds to support them? " my eyes were pleading with him. I wanted him to be on my side, because the only way I could Jaxon to make any changes is if Leo convinced him. 

"That's not what I implied.." 

"So why aren't my people being helped? They need help Leo, and I would really appreciate it if you provided that help. " I was becoming emotional and fighting back tears. 

"Nothing comes easy with you does it? " he says ignoring my question and sitting back down 

"What do you mean?" his question comes as a surprise to me. It was darker now, we need to start heading back to the house soon

"You're in opposition with me all the time. Why is that?" he ask, "Why 

"We've lived very different lives Leo, I've had to work for everything I have and you seem to have had everything handed to you. It's only natural that we don't see eye-to-eye on some things" I confessed by opinion on the matter  

He didn't appear too happy with my words, his brows furrow and his jaws tighten as if he was biting back words, "You think I've had everything handed to me?"

I probably shouldn't have voiced it that way "That's not exactly what I meant " 

"Then what did you mean? " 

I shake my head, I didn't want to talk about that right now. "You're diverting from our initial conversation, what I think of you isn't important right now" I said attempting to avoid answer his question. 

Leo doesn't appear even remotely calm

"My mate thinking I'm undeserving of my position is certainly of importance to me,  and for the record I've worked for every dime I have. Since we're being honest with each other, you're self-righteous attitude is one of the most unflattering things about you" 

His words catch me by surprise "Self-righteous?" I repeat , he thinks I'm self-righteous? 

he huffs, shoving his hands back into the pockets of his pants " You speak to me as if everything I do is morally unacceptable" 

"That's because you don't seem to care about anything but your job as Beta and the pack. How do you and Jaxon sleep at night knowing that you're actively oppressing your pack members."

"Oppressing?" Leo huffs and then begins to walk away. "Where are you going? " I ask trying to keep up with his pace. He turns around, walking backwards, his face doesn't appear too happy.

"I need some space to think. I'm going to be out late tonight. Don't wait up" with that he leaves me in the woods. I want to follow him, but I choose to give him the space he's asking for. The walk home is long and lonely. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, 

Sorry I haven't updated in months. I had this written for a while but was dissatisfied with it - I had writer's block for a while. 

But, here you go! I promise I'll try to update more frequently, I've just been busy with school and life, sorry!