A New Life Awaits

The bell has rung. Ninth period is over. Harper put all his stuff in his binder and exited the classroom. He walks to his locker and undoes the lock. 60, 41, 4, he thinks as he removes the lock and opens the door. He grabs his tattered Cubs cap, puts it on. He takes out his backpack, puts everything in, and prepares for a long 4-day weekend. No homework, no school, no nothing. Nothing but fun for the next four days. At least, that's what he thinks as he waves to his friend, Aaron, high-fives Darren and fist-bumps Landon. He then said goodbye to Mindy, his crush.  It had lasted for a couple of years now, and only his closest friends knew, but they never really talked, only sometimes, like today. They only really talk when one or both is in a good mood; today they were both in a good mood, obviously. She has light brown hair and green braces on her teeth. She's a couple inches shorter than him.

He hopped on the bus and then the driver, Alex, said these words that Harper would likely remember forever:

"A new life awaits you, Harper. And when it comes, good luck."

This left Harper scared and a little creeped out. He sat with his buddies in the middle of the bus and told them what Alex said. Everyone else had heard the exact same thing. He even called Mindy to ask about it, and although she was picked up by parents, as she was walking to her parents' car the principal said the same thing to her. Harper had a feeling something bad was coming when he walked slowly off the bus silently and walked to his house, key in hand.