Today Is The Day

---Three years, 361 days later (March 12th, 2023)---

The crowd grew near the exit as it became extremely loud in the final corridor. People were lined up to leave the labyrinth - it was a complete madhouse. The octet of our heroes were all near the exit, but it was 11:47 PM. That was 13 minutes until the exit closed for a few years, only to have the people who didn't make it train in a gym for five years and go back into the maze.

Harper and Mindy, both 16 and still madly in love, were waiting in the line, near the front, with a still-dating 16-year-old Darren and an 17-year-old Sharon next to them. Behind them were the 12-year-olds Campbell and Ella. And behind them were the 17-year-olds Landon and Jennifer.

---12 minutes later---

"30 SECONDS!! MOVE OUT! MOVE OUT!"

There were 30 seconds to leave. Somehow Mindy and Campbell had ended up behind the others.

---20 seconds later---

Harper was waiting for Mindy and Campbell. Landon jumped into the secret exit, as did Ella.

"MINDY! CAMPBELL! FIVE SECONDS!!"

Harper had no choice. He went into the exit.

Mindy and Campbell jumped for it. They knew they wouldn't make it, but they had to try. But they failed. They jumped into a big metal wall blocking the exit. It was over. Mindy and Campbell had lost.

"H-h...Harper..."

Mindy burst into tears. Campbell  tried to comfort her, but it was no use. Mindy and Harper may never see each other again, same as Campbell and Ella. Mindy just couldn't stop crying, understandably.

---on the other side---

Harper had just barely made it. He got up and looked around. He saw his friends and other people. The one person he cared about most, the one he was in love with, the one that he couldn't do without, was not in this room. She didn't make it. He knew this. But he wanted to make sure of it first.

"Uh, Sharon? Did you see Mindy?"

Sharon looked at Harper sadly.

"She didn't make it through the exit. I-I'm sorry, Harper."

Harper broke down harder than Mindy did when he finally processed the fact that Mindy was gone. Ella was the same way.

"Hey, Sharon?"

"Yeah, Ella?"

"H-have you seen Campbell?"

There was a pause.

"Kid, I don't think he made it through the exit."

"Oh. Well..."

That was the last thing she was able to get out before breaking down.

"I'm sorry, Ella. I wish I didn't have to say that..."

"Hey, Sharon. What's up?"

"Oh. Hey, Darry. So Mindy and Campbell didn't make it through the exit, so I'm comforting Ella."

"Ah. Well, I'm gonna go see if I can help Harper. He's looking worse than Ella."

"Ok, see ya."

Darren walked over to a sobbing Harper. Landon followed him.

"Hey, Harper. Are you okay?"

Harper looked up at Darren. His face was all red and he was sniffling. Tears were falling out of his eyes uncontrollably.

"D-does it look like I'm okay?"

"Nope. Well, can I help you?"

"I guess you can try."

"Ok."

Then he got to work. Darren loved comedy, so he would say completely random things until Harper couldn't stop laughing.

"Chocolate shoes."

No answer.

"Um...singing peanut?"

A little snicker.

"Chicken butter."

A chuckle.

"Taco bus."

More chuckles.

"Forest remodel."

Even more chuckles.

"Blurred a pause snicker."

That didn't even make sense, but it seemed to fix up Harper. He was laughing like hell after that.

"Well, that worked."

"Yeah, try it on Ella now. She could use it."

Sure enough, it worked.

The train had come and it was time to leave.

Harper took out of his pocket a rose petal that Mindy had given him a year ago.

He threw it onto the platform at the last moment and said:

"I love you, Mindy."

Sorry for no feels warning! Anyway, the next chapter is gonna be an epilogue. Then the book will end. But there will be a sequel (and maybe two!) See you later!