5-The Park

Liam tried to ignore Francesca and threw her off his scent when he brought her to the Designer boutique. He knew her too well and shopping has always been her hobby aside from firing bullets and kickboxing. He wanted to distract himself and erase the memory of their scorching kiss at the elevator. He massaged his temples as he read through his emails as he tried to answer most of them or forwarded some to Cellia for her action. The smug look of his secretary when he had her cancel all his meetings was a sign that he is starting to change because of Frankie's presence. He was not in the right state of mind when he cancelled his important appointments just because he could not stand the fact that men are looking at Frankie's doll-like pretty face and her sexy figure. He blamed the kiss that he himself started. He gave in to his inner demons, the ones that he already fought and valiantly won over years ago. His desire for her came back to him the moment he saw her on his kitchen wearing only a silk robe and her underwear. Now, it was ten times more potent because of the way she teased him by parading in front of him in her newly purchased lingerie collection and swim suit collection.

"Liam, where are we having lunch?" She was sitting cross-legged at the limousine they were riding at. He wanted space away from her but the way her colorful silk dress hiked up to her thighs as she crossed and uncrossed her legs made him feel extremely hot even in the air conditioned limousine.

"Wherever you want. Which do you prefer?" The smile that she gave him was infectious. He found himself smiling back. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because, you used to do that when we were still kids. Whenever I ask you what game you wanted to play or which restaurant you wanted to eat, you ask me what I prefer. It was always my choice. It's just funny that years later, it's still the same scenario." Liam remembered. What she said was true, her preference, whatever she wanted was always his choice simply because he always wanted to see the smile on her face or the uncertain look that she have whenever she think of the choices. Just like she was doing right now.

"And you'll have that same weird look on your face while you're thinking and weighing options inside your head." She giggled and the sound was like a siren's song in his ears. It was tempting and inviting. To distract himself, Liam looked at the window to see where they are and he saw Central Park. Her gaze followed his and she had that smirk on her face that alerted him that she already had her choice.

"Would you like to have a lunch picnic with me, Liam?" Her face looked animatedly excited as she waited for his response. How could he possible say no to a face like that?

"Of course, Princess. What shall we have for lunch? Let's go buy some food first shall we? Then we could circle back here and go to the park." She smiled at him goofily. It was something that he didn't expect to see from her after all the years that weren't on speaking terms. She seemed to be a changed woman when they grew up. She was aloof and guarded when it came to him. He couldn't blame her after the way he cut his ties with her after her sixteenth birthday.

"Let's just buy something from the park. I'm sure we'll find something. No, wait!" She stopped him when he was about to remove his suit. He frowned at her, not seeming to understand. "Don't remove your coat. We'll use that as our picnic blanket since we doesn't have one. Or we could just sit on the benches." Her good mood was infectious. Liam signaled the driver to stop the car. Before getting off the vehicle, he called his security team to check the perimeter. Another team was also instructed to blend with the crowd and guard them while they roam at the park. One of the things that his uncle and father holds him accountable for is Francesca's security, not only from those that wanted to harm them but also from paparazzis who lurks in every corner.

The 21 degrees weather was fit for a stroll in the park but Liam still made her wear a trench coat to protect her from the cold and from the men who might glance her way.

"You're wearing heels. Are you sure you want to take a stroll with that?" He motioned at her killer stilettos when he took her hand as he led her out of the car. She smiled at him sweetly.

"You could just carry me if I get tired, right?" He groaned before gently pulling her from the car and leading her to the park.

"Where do we buy food here?"

"You tell me. You live here, Liam. I live in Italy."

"Smarty pants. It was your idea to grab a food here, wasn't it?" She just shrugged and moved closer to him, snaking her other arm on the one holding her hands. To the onlookers, it would seem that she was sweetly hugging him while they were walking.

"I'm sure there's corn dog here somewhere or even ice cream!"

"You're such a baby." She pouted then crinkled her nose at him.

"I am aren't I?" She moved closer and Liam had to let go of her hand so he could just wrap his arm on her shoulder and pull her towards him. "How can we walk properly if you keep on clinging on to me?" She joked at him when he moved his arm from her shoulders to her waist. Their sides pressed closely as they walked in synch.

"Says the one who was hugging me while walking." She stuck her tongue out at him and he laughed at her childish response.

"I missed this." She stopped on her tracks when he said those words. He looked at her worriedly. "Why?" His forehead creased as he waited for her response.

"I missed this, too." She cupped his face and pulled him to her, angling her face as she kissed him with all that she has. It was as if she was telling him how much she missed him. Liam wanted to feel more of her so he pulled her closer by her waist, snaking his arms around her to press their bodies together. He didn't know what fuelled their desire but it made them oblivious of their surroundings. The heat of their bodies made them forget the dangers of making out in public. He have never been careless but having Francesca in his arms, kissing the life out of him was too pleasurably distracting for him that he couldn't think at all.

"I'm hungry." She whispered as she kissed his neck then moved to dip her tongue on his ear. He gently pushed her, even though he did not want to let her go, her needs is more important than his.

"Let's go find something to eat." He pecked her lips briefly then took her hand. His knees felt weak after their kiss and she looked flushed and flustered as well.

They walked for a few minutes until they reached a clearing that was unusually empty. His instinct kicked in.

"Be alert. If I tell you duck, duck, If I tell you to run, we need to run." She nodded though her eyes were a mixture of shock and worry.

Without letting go of her hand, he reached down and pulled something from his leg, a small pistol that was strapped in his leg and covered by his pants. He reached out for his phone to call their security. He muttered a curse when he saw that the battery was empty.

"I need your phone."

"I left my bag in your car." He sighed and pulled her closer to him, still looking around for something or someone that would justify the feeling of dread.

"Liam, what is—" She stopped when several men wearing combat suits emerged from the trees in front of them.

"Shit! They're too many! Come on, run!" He pulled Francesca as he ran towards the lake where he saw something that might save them until his security team could retrieve them. He was running too fast and she had to let go of his hand so she would not get dragged. That was when the shooting started.