26-At Fault

LUNA woke up to the feel of warm cloth on her hands. She noticed that her bloodied clothes were already changed and she was now wearing a blue button down shirt. Diana was absentmindedly wiping her left arm with a small white towel that was now streaked with dark brown, the color of dried blood.

"Diana," her whisper was enough to startle her captor. Diana abruptly stood up and moved away from her, looking down to hide her face from view. They were in a hospital like room with white walls, tiled flooring and ceiling. Only the bed covered in red sheets where she was lying gave color and life to the empty space.

"You're awake. How are you feeling?" There was concern in Diana's voice and it gave Luna a surge of relief.

"I feel better now that I heard your voice."

Diana sighed and faced her. There were tears in her eyes that she tried to conceal with her long hair and cap.

"It should have been Frankie here, but I'm relieved it was her who took the bait. I didn't know you were pregnant. I...I just realized now when I felt your pulse. I'm sorry, Luna. I shouldn't have dragged you into this mess." Diana bowed her head and as much as Luna wanted to approach her, she couldn't bring herself to do it. She felt that there was something strange going on in her captor's mind. She could not look at her directly and she was fiddling with the hem of her loose black shirt.

"Why are you doing this, Diana?"

"I can't tell you. Once you're rested I'll let you go. Here, wear this." She threw a black pair of leggings at the edge of the bed and once Luna donned them, she opened the room's door.

"Will you come home with me? I'm sure they will be happy to see you..."

"No! I mean, no...I can't go with you." There was panic in Diana's voice and Luna could see beads of perspiration starting to appear in her forehead and temples.

"Diana? Are you alright?" She slowly stood up from the bed and wore the sandals she found at the floor. Walking slowly towards Diana who was now shaking in fear beside the door, she felt like she was opening Pandora's box, also scared of what she would find inside.

"I just want to talk to Frankie. She was the only one who looked for me..."

"I'll help you talk to her. You don't have to do this anymore...Let's go home together."

"I wasn't supposed to be here. I..."

"Diana? Hey..." She tried to approach the scared Diana but she ducked past her. When she stood up and faced her, she was like a different person. Her eyes were glassy and devoid of the fear she saw earlier.

"I'll take you somewhere so you could go home." Her voice that was trembling in fear is now filled with hatred.

"Come home with me. I'm sure your father, Alej and Frankie will be happy to see you."

"No! They won't. Nobody would be happy to see me. Just be thankful you're pregnant. If not I wouldn't have let you go. This was all your fault after all." The last words were silent but she was still able to catch them.

"Diana? Why was this my fault?"

"Shut up and wear this! Don't let me tie this myself or you'll regret it." She could feel her anger whenever she uttered a word.

Luna nodded and tied the blindfold that was handed to her. She let Diana lead her outside of the room. She tried to study the place where she was held captive by counting the steps and tried touching the walls or anything that she could reach but Diana ensured that she will not remember. She even had to walk in circles for four times whenever she would succeed in reaching for any surface like a table or chair. On her third try, Diana grew impatient and handcuffed her arms from behind. When they reached the car, she knew it was a sedan because of the height of the vehicle.

When they reached the car, Luna was cuffed in the car's handle before she sped off that place. They drove silently for what seemed like two hours at most. When they reached a secluded alley, Luna was set free.

"You're on your own."

"Diana. Can I tell them that it was you?"

"I don't care anymore. Although I'm sure they know by now."

"Do you need Frankie's number?"

"I'll get her myself."

With those last words, Diana was lost in sight. It was already six am but it was still dark since the sun rises before seven am during that month in Italy. Luna couldn't find any open establishment where she could ask for help. Neither could she find a cab that could take her home. She had been walking for more than twenty minutes when she saw a pastry shop with an old man setting up its sign. She immediately walked to him and asked to use the phone.

Another hour of waiting while having breakfast alone and contemplating what happened, Alejandro arrived together with Liam.

"Luna!" Her brother's voice was enough to make her tears fall but when she looked at her fiance with tears on his eyes while walking towards her, she lost it and ran to him while bawling like they did not see each other for centuries.

"Are you okay, baby?"

"Yes."

"Luna, where is..."

"Who?"

"Diana. Was it Diana who took you?" Liam was looking at her and she had to look away. She wasn't sure why she wanted to stall telling them the truth. She just felt like it was not the right time to discuss the ghost who haunted her best friend for years and now turned out to be alive.

"I don't remember. Come on. Let's go home. I want to see Frankie. Baby, please pay for my food first."

"I'll take care of it," was Liam's reply and Alej lead Luna to the waiting black Cadillac outside the pastry shop. She sighed in relief when she saw only five guards near them. If Diana was still in the vicinity, she would surely be found by those men.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes. I just want to see Frankie. How is she?"

"She's awake now. She's waiting for you." For Luna, that was the best news she heard in a while. Alej kissed her and that kiss alone could make her forget the ordeal she went through. Whatever it is that Diana was blaming on her, she wouldn't think about it unless necessary. Her wedding is just a few days away and nothing could stop her from claiming her happiness.