-19-

Song-Fic - "So Close" by Jon McLaughlin (from Enchanted)

**this one-shot is roughly based on the scene with this song from Enchanted

-:-:-:-

Every year, Tony Stark would hold an annual charity gala in the ballroom of the Avengers facility. There would a be a different theme every year and everyone would dress up according to the theme. This year's theme was "Princesses and Princes" and it was tradition that the Avengers went all out for the theme.

Y/n looked herself over in the mirror one last time before going out and meeting up with her date, Steve Rogers. Y/n wore a f/c ball gown that flowed out at the bottom. She was wearing matching high heels and her h/c was curled. She felt like a princess. Y/n took a deep breath and walked out of her bedroom and to the elevator at the end of the hallway. She pressed the down button that would take her to the ballroom.

Bucky was already in the ballroom, talking with Steve and Sam. He wore a blue suit and his long brown hair was tied back. This was Bucky's first time attending Tony's annual charity gala, and he wasn't the most excited about it. In fact, if it wasn't for Steve and y/n, Bucky wouldn't have even shown up. Steve and y/n were his two best friends on the team, and over the past couple months, Bucky had developed feelings for y/n. He was planning on asking her to be his date to the gala, but Steve beat him to it.

You're in my arms and all the world is calm

The music playing on for only two, so close together

And when I'm with you so close to feeling alive...

As Bucky talked with his two friends, his eyes drifted to the elevator on the opposite side of the ballroom. It had just opened up and some people got out, including y/n. She looked absolutely gorgeous. Steve followed Bucky's gaze and was in awe when he saw his date walking over to them.

"Y/n! You look amazing!" Steve complimented as he linked arms with y/n.

"Why thank you, Stephen." y/n said with a terrible British accent. She turned to Bucky and Sam. "You all clean up pretty nice."

Sam chuckled. "You don't look too bad yourself."

"Yeah n/n, you look great." Bucky told her.

Y/n smiled at them. "Thanks guys. Well, I'm going to go talk to Natasha and Maria. I'll see you guys in a bit."

"Okay, see ya, y/n." Steve kissed her on the cheek.

A life goes by, romantic dreams will stop

So I bid mine goodbye and never new...

Bucky couldn't help but feel slightly jealous when Steve did that. He knew he was supposed to be happy for his two best friends, but Bucky's feelings for y/n were too strong.

Later into the night, Tony made his was up to the microphone over by where the band was playing.

"Alright everyone," the billionaire began. "for this part of the dance, you have to dance with someone who is not your date. So pair up! The song will be starting in a moment."

Y/n watched as everyone paired up with the people that they didn't come here with. She saw Steve guide Natasha to the dance floor and she smiled. Y/n knew that if Steve hasn't asked her, he would've asked Nat. After a few seconds, y/n felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and was met the stormy blue eyes of Bucky Barnes.

So close was waiting, waiting here with you

And now, forever I know

All that I wanted to hold you so close...

"May I have this dance, madam?" Bucky asked, with his fake British accent.

Y/n chuckled and responded with the same accent as before. "I would be honored."

Bucky led y/n to the dance floor and took her hand in his. He placed his metal hand gently on her waist and y/n put her hand on Bucky's shoulder. The song began and the two moved in sync. He would twirl her around and she'd smile. Bucky always loved y/n's smile and loved it when he was the reason.

"You're not a bad dancer, Barnes." y/n commented.

"You're not too bad yourself, l/n." Bucky said.

So close to reaching that famous happy end

Almost not believing this was not pretend

And now you're beside me and look

How far we've come, so far, we are so close...

The two continued to dance and Bucky couldn't stop admiring y/n as she moved. Her h/c hair swept from side to side, her e/c eyes sparkled in the light of the large chandelier overhead. No, Bucky thought to himself, she's with Steve, and I can't do anything about it.

"Are you happy?" Bucky asked. "With Steve, I mean."

Y/n looked up at Bucky. "Yeah, Steve and I are great. Why do you ask?"

Bucky shrugged. "I just want you to be happy. I care about you, and I don't want you to go through another bad break up."

Y/n nodded as she remembered her most recent break up with her ex-boyfriend, Jason. Luckily, Steve and Bucky has helped her get through it.

"Yeah, that was a lot of money spent on ice cream." y/n chuckled.

How could I face the faceless days if I should lose you now?

As the song continued, y/n moved closer to Bucky. She rested her head on Bucky's chest as they swayed to the rhythm of the music. Bucky soaked in this moment as he held y/n close. This is it, Bucky, he thought, you gotta tell her.

"Hey y/n?" Bucky said, getting her attention.

Y/n looked up at him. "Yeah Bucky?"

"I just wanted to tell you that I —"

"Hey, mind if I cut in?" Steve had walked over to them.

"Oh, hi Steve!" y/n greeted with a smile. "Bucky was just in the middle of telling me something. What were you going to say, Buck?"

We're so close to reaching that famous happy end

And almost believing this was not pretend

Let's go on dreaming for we know we are....

Bucky looked at his two best friends, who were now hand in hand. "Oh, it was nothing important. I should probably get going anyway."

"Oh okay. See ya later then." y/n said.

"Yeah, bye Buck." Steve side hugged him.

Bucky waved and began walking to the elevator. Before going in, he looked back at Steve and y/n. They were now dancing and Steve was leaning in for a kiss. Y/n closed the gap between them and Bucky sighed. It's not like she would've said yes anyway, he told himself.

So close, so close, and still so far...

-:-:-:-

This one a little sad because the reader and Bucky don't end up together 😢. Anyway, I hope you guys liked this song-fic and thank you for over 4k reads! You guys are amazing and thank you for reading! -Nicole 💕