~Chapter 6~

"So, first game tonight! Aren't you excited?", Mom said, giving me a smile. "Yeah.", I nodded my head. It's been a week since I told Troy we couldn't be together. One whole miserable week.

I haven't been to Troy's on any of my runs since then and the only time we have talked is at school when we have to. I've caught him starring a couple times, but it hurts to much to look back.

I put my jersey and shorts on and pulled my hair up into a ponytail. "Are you coming?", I asked Mom. I already knew the answer but there was just a little hope that I was wrong. "I'm sorry baby. The diner offered me more money to work late tonight. I can't.", I was right.

"It's okay.", I picked up my bag and opened the door. "Good luck.", she called out before I shut the door. If only things could be different.

~

"Make some noise, for your East High Wildcats!", someone said into a microphone. We all ran out from the hallway and onto the gym floor. People from the bleachers cheered and clapped when we got to the middle of the floor.

"1... 2... 3... Wildcats!", we all put our hands together in the middle of our huddle. We ran to our layup lines and started shooting layups to get warmed up.

"Hey, I'll go easy on you out there.", one of the guys from the other team yelled at me. "I should be saying the same thing to you.", I said, meeting the guy at half court. The guy and a couple others from the other team laughed and returned back to what they were doing.

"Okay guys, huddle up.", Coach yelled from the side line. We ran up to him and huddled up. "Lets start this game off good. I want Troy to bring the ball down. Run 'scramble' until McKenna can get a shot off in the corner.", Coach said looking at me.

Me and the other starters walked out onto the court to begin the game. Chad jumped for the ball knocking it back to Troy who walked it across half court. 

We began running our play, 'scramble', until I was open in the corner. Troy passed me the ball and I took the shot. It went in and we are now up 3 to 0. We're off to a good start.

~

"We've got a minute left. A 3 could win the game. Let McKenna shoot from the corner. That's where she's hitting best tonight. Run 'west' until that's open.", Coach said during a timeout. 

The score is 56 to 54. We're losing but if I make my 3 we will win. No pressure at all.

Troy comes down the court with the ball and passes it to Chad on the wing. I ran through the screen Zeke set for my man and ran to the corner. I caught the pass Chad through to me and quickly looked up at the clock. 

With only 4 seconds left, I jumped up and shot the ball. Before my feet hit the ground, a player from the other team hit my side, making me slam up against the wall. My head hit the concrete bricks of the wall and everything around me went dark.

I could still hear the crowd and other players cheering, but I couldn't see anything. Black specks filled my vision as the cheering crowd filled my ears. "Kenna!", I felt someones hand touch my arm. Troy's unmistakable voice filled my ears.

"Someone call an ambulance.", I heard Coach's voice beside me. Something was making the fallen hairs up against my face stick to my forehead. I'm pretty sure I know what it is though.

Someone picked me up and laid my head against their chest. "Troy, the ambulance will be here in about 5 minutes.", someone else yelled. "Thanks Chad.", the person holding me yelled back. Troy.

I could feel myself fading before slowly losing everything in Troys arms.

~

Just like last time, everything but my sight came back to me. This time I was laying down in what I assume is a hospital bed. "Troy, it's late. You should go get some rest.", the sound of my Mothers voice rang through my ears.

"If it's okay, I think I'll stay.", Troy's voice came out from what sounded like beside me. "If that's what you want.", Mom said. The door then opened and shut. I felt the side of the bed cave in as someone sat down.

Troy's hand picked mine up and held it up on his knee. 

"What if we rewrite the stars?"
"Say you were made to be mine."
"Nothing can keep us apart."
"You are the one I was meant to find."

Troy's voice was barely above a whisper. Something wet dripped on my hand. Tears? I want so bad to open my eyes and tell him everything's going to be okay. Maybe if I try really hard I can.

Come on Kenna. Open your eyes. Please open them. 

After a minute or two, I finally mustered up enough energy to open them. The light was bright, making me close them again. I reopened them a blinked at the light, letting my eyes adjust.

"Troy.", my voice came out a scraggly whisper. My mouth was dry and my voice barely went above a whisper.

He looked up from his lap, looking straight into my eyes. He let go of my hand, his going to the side of my face. His lips met mine as he rubbed the side of my face with his thumb.

He pressed his forehead against mine and smiled at me. "You scared me.", he said, his soft breath felt good against my face. "I'm okay.", I replied. "Good, 'cause I don't know what I would do if you weren't.", he pushed a strand of hair out of my face.

He kissed me again and even though I'm laying in a hospital bed, I can't think of a place I'd rather be.