~Chapter 16~

I finished my shift at the pool and walked back to the kitchen to clock out. I pulled my card out of the slot and swiped it in the machine.

"Did you miss me?", an unmistakable voice said from beside me.

I laughed without even having to look and see who it was. "Of course you did.", Troy said as he pulled out his own card.

I leaned up against the wall and looked up at him.

"Have you ever been on a golf course?", he asked pointing at me.

"We're employees Troy, not members, and I don't play golf.", I said. He leaned across me and swiped his own card.

"Who said anything about golf.", he said, putting his card back.

He walked over to one of the metal tables and pulled a picnic basket over to him. 

"A picnic?", I asked.

"Yeah. Go get changed and I"ll get everything ready."

I nodded and headed out of the kitchen, heading toward the employee room. I pulled my spare clothes out of my locker and walked to the bathroom.

 I pulled my spare clothes out of my locker and walked to the bathroom

I walked back to the kitchen to meet Troy. When I got there he was already changed and holding the picnic basket and blanket.

"You're fast.", I told him.

"Or maybe you're just slow.", he said back.

I punched his shoulder and he started laughing.

"Let's go.", I said.

We walked out and started making our way to the golf course.

"You know what I just realized?", he said from beside me.

"What?"

"I've never seen you in a dress.", he said.

"And you probably never will.", I said as we walked onto the green grass.

We walked the rest of the way before finding a place to sit. He laid the blanket down and we sat on it.

Troy started pulling food out of the basket as I looked around the place. "Are you sure it's okay for us to be out here?", I asked.

"Yeah, unless the jackrabbits turn us in.", I laughed at his comment.

"So, how's kitchen duty?", I asked.

"Oh, you know, a team that washes dishes together wins together."

"What about me?"

"And with the girl that swims, we will always win.", he winked at me as I rolled my eyes.

"My mom said summer jobs look good on college applications.", I said. Troy knows how much I've been stressing about getting a scholarship. There's no way my family could afford to pay for college right now.

"The frightening concept called our future."

"Are you worried.", I moved over to sit beside him on the blanket.

"Hey, college costs a fortune, and my parents are saving pennies. Unlike the people at this place.", he said.

"You're a cinch for a scholarship.", I reminded him.

"I'm only as good as what happens next season."

I nodded and said, "Trust me, I know."

"It's just like... I always liked the idea of being in charge of my future, until it actually started happening.", he sighed and leaned back on his hands.

"So lets just think about right now, because this is my first summer in Albuquerque, and this means a lot to me.", I told him.

"Especially being here with...", Troy cut me off before I could finish.

"An outstanding peanut butter and jelly sandwich maker like myself.", he held up a PB and J sandwich in his hand.

I pulled it out of his hand and said, "I want to remember this summer Troy."

He nodded looking straight into my green eyes. I turned around and pulled the bowl of grapes out of the basket.

"Catch!", I said as I pulled a grape out.

"I love this game!", Troy leaned back on his hands and opened up his mouth.

I threw the grape and he caught it without and sort of trouble. "Ohh!", he said after he caught it.

"Beautiful!", I applauded him.

"Your turn.", he said, reaching for the grapes.

I slid back a little and opened up my mouth. He threw and three grapes hit me in the head.

"Ahh!", I said, my mouth still agape.

"You didn't catch a single one of those.", he said as he jumped up and ran away. 

I got up and chased after him. Troy rolled down one of the hills as I chased after him.

He stood up and kept running. Once I got close enough to him, I jumped up on his back. He spun me around before dumping me on the ground.

We both laughed as he held both arms out to help me up. I gladly took them and pulled myself up, not letting go of his hands once I was on my feet.

Troy pulled me in, our faces inches apart. Right before our lips met, the sprinklers went off all around up.

I laughed and pulled myself into him, trying to keep from getting wet.

"May I have this dance?", he asked stepping away from me and bowing.

"Why of course you may.", I curtsied and took his outstretched hand. We danced and jumped around the golf course, no longer caring how wet we got.

The sprinklers finally went off and we headed back to pick up the stuff from our picnic. When we got there Mr. Fulton stood beside our now soaking wet blanket.

"First a break time infraction, now frolicking on the golf course. We are not off to a fantastic start now are we Miss. Turner?", Mr. Fulton said once we reached him.

"Actually Mr. Fulton, this was my idea, so...", Mr. Fulton cut Troy off.

"How gallant, but irrelevant. We wont allow this to happen again now will we?", he asked.

Troy and I shook our heads before Mr. Fulton spun on his heel and walked off the golf course.