~Chapter 21~

I stood at the edge of the pool with the net, scooping up dirt and other stuff floating around the top. "It's looking good.", someone said from behind me.

I turned around and looked behind me. Ryan stood there, wearing a white button up shirt with red floral shorts and a matching hat.

"Wow!", I exclaimed, looking back at his outfit.

"To much?", he asked.

"Um, only in daylight.", I laid down the long net I was holding and stuffed my hands in the pockets of my white jacket.

"East High colors, very impressive.", I said, with a nod of my head.

"Hey, be true to your school, right?", he said, holding his arms out.

"Totally. Everyone's really excited about doing the show.", I said. In our spare time, everyone had been practicing. We practiced at my house last night, everyone except Troy.

"Hey, I know everyone thinks that I'm Sharpay's poodle, but I really think that...", I cut Ryan off before he could finish.

"Hey, if they're thinking that, no ones thinking that today.", Ryan nodded with a slight smile across his face.

Changing the subject, I asked, "How do you do that swing step you did last night?"

"It's easy.", Ryan held both of my hands and spun me around without letting them go. I stood with my back to him and arms crossed in front of my chest, still holding Ryan's hands.

"Hey.", Troy said softly. He had walked into the pool area without either of us noticing.

"Hey!", I said back more cheerily, while letting go of Ryan's hands.

Ryan piped up behind me with a bright and cheery hey. Troy never cracked a smile as he looked back and forth between the two of us.

"So, I called last night, got uh, hung up at the gym.", Troy nodded and smiled like what he was saying was okay.

My smile faded. Ryan noticed and quickly changed the subject, "So my dad says you're doing great with the college guys."

"Oh yeah, they're awesome. Playing with them is like being in another world.", Troy replied. I wonder if he thinks those guys are better than the rest of us.

"Well you missed out on a really fun night. We had a great practice.", I said. I know, I know, saying that is really petty of me, but it just kind of slipped.

"Yeah, but the best of all had to be the dessert afterward. Her mom makes the best brownies in the entire world.", Ryan threw his arm over my shoulder has he went on about how good mom's brownies are. They really were the best though.

"Yeah, I know. I've had them.", Troy snapped immediately after Ryan finished. 

Ryan took his arm off of my shoulder and walked away saying, "I'll see you guys later.", leaving Troy and I standing together.

I looked down at my bare feet, not wanting to look up at him. I glanced up at him right before he walked away, leaving me standing by the pool alone.

This isn't the Troy that I know. I don't know what's going on but I can tell you one thing. I absolutely hate it.