Chapter XI

A/N: There's an update for this book out at last!! Still gonna be some backstory stuff tho :p

Harry

~~~~~~

"Come on, Jack. Come to me," I smiled at the nervous baby in front of me who was unsteady on his feet, "it's OK. I'll catch you," I held out my arms towards him, "come on."

Jack smiled at me a little and paused for a moment before he stretched his own chubby arms out and began to toddle towards me.

"That's it. Take it easy. Don't rush," my smile grew, "come on, Jack. Come on!"

Jack giggled and picked up his pace a little – falling into my lap once he reached me and smiling up at me brightly.

"That's my boy!" I beamed at him and lifted him into my arms, "Very good, Jack!"

"Dada!" He cried happily – making me laugh before I blew a raspberry into his cheek and made him burst into delighted giggles.

"What are you doing?" My wife's voice suddenly spoke up curtly, "I thought you were putting him to bed."

"Alright, alright. I just wanted to practice some walking with him, first," I slowly rose to my feet with Jack still sitting comfortably in my arms, "you should've seen him, babe. He's doing so well."

"I know. I'm with him every day. I can always see him walking," she crossed her arms, "come on. Put him to sleep. It's past his bedtime."

"Phoebe, all bloody week I'm either at work or in class. I barely get to see him," I frowned at her, "so, forgive me if I just want to spend 10 minutes with my son before he goes to bed."

"Well, you've had your 10 minutes," she huffed, "fine. If it's so hard for you, I'll put him to bed."

She placed her hands under Jack's arms and tried to lift him up – but as soon as she did, he wailed and suddenly burst into tears – his chubby arms clinging tightly to my neck.

"Jack, stop it," I saw Phoebe grit her teeth as she began to struggle with him, "that's enough. It's bedtime."

"Dada!" I heard him sputter, "D-Dada!!"

"Phoebe, stop! For God's sake, you're scaring him!" I turned away from her and began to bounce Jack in my arms to calm him down, "It's OK, squirt. It's OK. You're OK..."

Jack's wailing slowly lessened – and he finally quietened down again before I felt him tuck his head into the crook of my neck.

"You can't just snatch him from behind like that! It freaks him out!" I scolded her, "you have to be gentle with him!"

"I was gentle with him!" She insisted.

"No, you weren't!" I narrowed my eyes at her, "Phoebe, our son is precious. And you practically just manhandled him like he meant nothing to you at all!"

"Oh, don't be ridiculous," she rolled her eyes, "I just...I want to keep him on a schedule, OK? Please understand, Harry."

"Fine. I'll put him to bed, then," I held Jack close to me and began to make my way towards his nursery, "the right way."

I made it to Jack's nursery and smiled at him as I laid him down in his cot. He smiled back and cooed at me softly before he reached up into the air towards me.

"Dada," he babbled affectionately – causing me to let out a soft chuckle.

"Oh, alright," I reached down and lifted him up again, "just one more cuddle, OK?"